Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German cemetery Molenhoek

Chris_Baker

On our trip to Verdun I acquired a few postcards. In particular, three are of a German regimental cemetery at Molenhoek. I know of a Molenhoek near Torhout/Ruddervoorde, but as it is a common place name I imagine it is not the only one in the right area.

The regiment shown is 247, although there are also men of 235. They were all killed on 24 May 1915. The date is right for Second Battle of Ypres.

Can anyone please tell me anything about the regiment, cemetery or events?

i will check it out...

This what i know already.

There is a Molenhoek in Beselare, near zonnebeke...

Chris,

There are Molenhoek's in:

Beselare

Bikschote

Geluwe

Reninge

Jan will be able to tell where there were German Cem(s). At first sight off the locations I would say or Beselare or Geluwe(or both).

Jacky

Chris,

The 235th Regiment was part of the 102nd Reserve Brigade in the 51st Reserve Division in 1915. The Division remained in the area North East of Ypres(Poelcappelle,Langemarck,St.Julien)during the entire year of 1915 until September 1916.

Its History says 11th Corps District - Electorate of Hesse and Thuringia.

Source - Histories of the 251 Divisions of the German Army who participated in the War 1914 - 1918.

Andy

Chris,

The 247th Regiment was part of the 108th Reserve Brigade, 54th Reserve Division in 1915. The Division remained in Flanders during the entire year of 1915, occupying the front Berelacre- Polygon Wood, between the Ypres-Menin Wood and the Roulers Railroad. In April and May 1915 it suffered heavy losses during the second Battle of Ypres (Frezenberg,Verlorenhoek,Hooge).

History- 13th Corps District - Wuertiemberg.

Same Source.

Andy

Chris,

Not the best of scans, big book.

post-19-1083067579.jpg

As far as i know, There were some aid posts at Geluwe.

There is a molenhoek too... so i think most obvious will be Geluwe.

Chris,

Sorry about the sizing, thought I had it the other day, now this.

Andy

post-19-1083068245.jpg

Hi,

I live in Geluwe and will have a look at Molenhoek (if I can find it) tomorow and see if there is any relation to the photo and will post again then. Sorry but due to a knackerd scanner and lack of digital camera I cannot get you a photo.

Brum

Hello,

The Cemetery of RIR 247 was in Beselare, the street is called Dadizelestraat. Next to it was the cemetery for Reserve-Feldartillerie-Regiment 54.

One of the features in the cemetery were the mass graves with the names of the dead inscribed on large panels.

I made an article about the German war cemeteries in Zonnebeke a year or two ago and on the accompanying exhibition, we managed to show even a part from such a panel (the top part in the form of an Iron Cross).

Regards,

Jan

Thank you everyone. Jan, what is on the site of the cemetery now? Did the piece of board that you had have any names on it? It's just possible that it may be on one of my cards.

Chris,

There is now a car repair firm where the cemetery was.

The piece of panel we used in the exhibition was just an Iron Cross which was on top of one of the boards (a bit like the crown in your card), it was already corroded and never had any names on it.

Regards,

Jan

• 4 weeks later...

Beneath you will find another postcard showing this Molenhoek German cemetery.

The local history society of Zonnebeke has spent a whole magazine (year 2002, no 2) to the ww1 German cemeteries of this village. The article is also dealing with the Molenhoek cemetery.

Gilbert Deraedt :huh: