Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My 'Walking Arras' Trip September - October 2009

ulsterlad2

Hi All. Here's some stuff (info & photos) from my recent hiking about the French countryside. The weather was fantastic and I was able to visit loads more places than I initially planned.

Day 1. Got there pm and did the Arras Memorial and some WW2 photo requests.

Day(s) 2,3 & 4. The main "out in the field" days. I walked around 48 - 50 kilometres over these 3 days and covered some of the areas associated with XVII, VI and VII Corps.

Day 5. TGV back to Paris.

I didn't have a car but don't let that put you off trying out some of the walks in Paul Reed's Walking Arras book. I just used the local bus to get me to a start point. Of course, I had to adapt one or two things to suit the bus route. But, for 7 euro for 10 tickets or 1 euro per ticket paid to the driver, to cover these walks I did, the bus will drop you right in front of Athies Communal Exension, 300 metres from Tilloy British, 30 seconds from Feuchy British. Of the 3 areas that I did, One of the walks officially started at Athies, another started at Tilloy with the other passing through Tilloy. The adaptions I made to suit not having a car were to start the walk that passed through Tilloy at Tilloy and to start visiting the cemeteries associated with the official Tilloy start from Feuchy British instead. That wasn't really neccessary but it enabled me not to have to bus it to Tilloy twice. This was the Urban bus.

There is also the Suburban bus which goes to Monchy le Preux & Wancourt, Gavrelle, Bapaume etc but these services are less frequent and payment is made direct to the bus driver depending where you want to get off etc.

Scottish Division memorial at the Point du Jour. Thankfully this has been moved from across the far side of the road to right beside the cemetery. TBH, if it had have still been there I wouldn't have crossed that road.

post-33142-1254842660.jpg

Point du Jour:

View from the Scottish Divison memorial back towards Saint Laurent-Blangy & Arras and the 9th April start lines, Blue and Black line objectives.

post-33142-1254842943.jpg

Ulsterlad2.

That's a great area for walking. Good advice about adapting your walks to suit the bus serices. Just shows that there are areas accessable without a car. The book you mention is a must have.

Thanks or sharing the photos.

John

I've never seen such a lack of green! It must have been so dry this year. The CWGC gardeners must have a really difficult year.

Ken

Best thing about busing it is any bars encountered can be entered and any thirst problems sorted. :hypocrite: Im up for any walking tours!

Thanks John. I've never been anywhere else so I don't know if bus'in it works elsewhere but it's the business in Arras. No worries or hassles about leaving your car. Fill up your napsack with a day's rations and away you go.

Ken. I know what you mean about the greenery. The full summer heat must have been incredible. It was fierce when I was there and it was October. Even here at Roeux British Cemetery, which is protected from the full sun by woodland, the grass is greener but you can still see that it isn't a lush green.

Roeux British Cemetery.

post-33142-1254849083.jpg

Thanks John. I've never been anywhere else so I don't know if bus'in it works elsewhere but it's the business in Arras. No worries or hassles about leaving your car. Fill up your napsack with a day's rations and away you go.

If this was your first trip you have many treats to come. If you ever do the Albert area get a b&b on the battlefield as the bus service is non existant.

Regards

John

The summer was certainly hot in the area with very little rain, I'm not surprised at the lack of green.

Thanks for sharing the photos, it certainly is a good place for walks of all kinds, usually without meeting anybody - might get round to sharing some of mine from the summer if I can get on top of work!

Have they finished rebuilding Tilloy Cemetery?

Jim

Roeux.

View looking across to Roeux village. I think that Crump Trench & Roeux British cemeteries are located within that woodland on the right as it itself extends futher to the right.

post-33142-1254852417.jpg

Hi Jim. The work continues at Tilloy. Don't know if these blokes were cwgc staff but I thanked them anyway for the great work that goes into maintaining the cemeteries.

Working at Tilloy.

Working at Tilloy

post-33142-1254854307.jpg

post-33142-1254854386.jpg

I like your photos - you have a good eye for perspective. Some really nice images there, and glad you had some time to walk this 'forgotten battlefield'.

• Admin

You must have followed me around! I went to a lot of those cemeteries a couple of weeks back. Great photos.

Michelle

• Admin

Yes the weather was great for me too and the cemeteries looked very dry. I really enjoyed having a good walk around the Arras area too. I wouldn't attempt that road at Point Du Jour either!

Michelle

Ulsterlad

Really good pics indeed. The Arras is one area I have neglected in the past but your pics have inspired me, maybe when I am out later in November, to try and spend some time there.

Regards, Tommy.