Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Colonial Nursing Association nurses

melliget

Hi.

I posted this to the Women's forum but raising the question of commemoration here.

I came across three nurses of the Colonial Nursing Association who were drowned on ships during WW1 but can't locate them on CWGC. Should they be commemorated given the circumstances below?

GRAHAM, M., passenger on s.s. Abasso, torpedoed 17 May 1918. Nurse Graham was returning to UK from leave in Southern Nigeria.

POULTER, M., passenger on s.s. Apapa, torpedoed 28 Nov 1917. Nurse Graham was returning from leave.

WINCHESTER, J., passenger on s.s. Falaba, torpedoed 28 Mar 1915. Nurse Winchester was travelling to take up duty in West Africa. Nurse L. Bell, also C.N.A, survived the Falaba sinking.

regards,

Martin

The CNA does not appear on the list of civilian organisations whose members could gain CWGC commemoration (albeit with additional criteria meaning that not all deaths would qualify).

CWGC has no remit to record the names of civilians who died in WW1 as they do for WW2 so they would not appear for that reason either.

Thanks for that, Aled. I'll amend the names on my list.

And thanks, Terry. Is that list of civilian organisations available anywhere? I just had a quick look at some of the CWGC's Information Sheets (http://tinyurl.com/y945ysw) but couldn't see it. I think an Information Sheet on their website outlining the precise eligibility requirements, both military and civilian, would be very handy.

• 8 years later...

Nurse Graham is remembered on the Memorial scroll in St Michaels Church of Ireland at Derrybrusk, Lisbellaw, Co. Fermanagh and also on the Centotaph in Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh