Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William James PITT

grantowi

Hi Chaps,

William James Pitt enlisted on 20 October 1914 with the 4th Wiltshires (TF) as 20490 aged 43

He had formally served with the Royal Warwick Regiment

In April 1915, he was admitted to Bulford hospital foe 16 days with Flu

In July 1915 he was admitted to Tidworth hospital with Plurisey which turned in TB "caused by ordinary military service exposure"

He was discharged on 17 September 1915

He died in Swindon (5A / 14 / 3qt) in 1917 aged 45

Because his TB was caused by his military service can he be included in CWGC ?

Cheers

Grant

Only if TB was the cause of his death.

You need to know the cause of death as qualification depends on death being connected to service during the qualifying period.

And that would be on the DC ?

Grant

• 4 months later...

Just got Mr Pitts Death certificate, and it states cause of death to be "Pulmonary Tuberculosis", which is why he was dismissed from the RWR in 1915 (he died on 17/07/1917)

Does this allow him to be put forward as a non-com ?

Grant

Grant

I have had similar cases to this.

I assume the info you provide is from his Records. That being the case then you can now link the cause of death (the DC) to his military service. I submitted mine through Terry Denham so should you be doing the same then it may be prudent to PM him asking what he wants etc. I haven't seen him on the forum for some time though.

Do you know where William James Pitt is buried? If not then the local papers may have an Obit which may state which cemetery.

Hywyn

PS That's a high number for a TF man isn't it?

Hywyn,

I suspect that he will be in Radnor St cemetery, as that was the main one in use at the time.

I hadnt thought about where his body lies, proberly one of the pre-requsites for a CWGC headstone I would have thought :huh:

As for the numbering, I don't have the foggiest about how numbering was carried out

Grant

If you can't find the burial place then his names goes on a Memorial at (can't recall which one just now)

Maybe the local Family History Society has indexed that cemetery.

Re the number. He enlisted as 5458 and was then transferred to the Supernumary Coy.

See here under Territorial Force Reserve/National Reserve

http://www.1914-1918.net/reserve.htm

Hywyn

Hywyn,

Found the plots for both men, just got to do a field trip and physically locate them.

Where did you get the 5458 number from?

Grant

Good result the the graves.

His attestation papers. It has 5458 struck out and the 20 490 written in. Ancestry tend to index on the first number that would have been put on the forms.

Hywyn

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Bit late, missed Johns post

William James Pitt has now been added to the CWGC Roll of Honour and his sacrifice recognised

Many thanks to all who helped -

Must say Im a bit surprised that CWGC didnt bother to acknowledge me that they were adding him

Grant