Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I'm stuck for ideas

myos

I wonder when they made lists out for the Cenotaphs if they scribbled them on the back of fag packets.

I'm looking at Wesham Memorial and can find no mention of the name LEARNAN any where on Ancestry, CWGC or the 1911 Census. I've tried variations of the name with no success.

Any ideas?

post-16373-1254662240.jpg

Oh, and Jeffery turned out to be Jeffrey!

Andy

Try this one?

LERNAN , R Private546727/08/1918 Irish GuardsUnited KingdomIV. E. 20.MORY ABBEY MILITARY CEMETERY, MORY

Regards

Just a thought but could it be an alias he used to enlist under ?

You would have thought the family would have informed the powers that be about the correct name for the cenotaph but it maybe a possibility ?

Neil

Dear Andy

Do you think Pte R Learnan could be (from CWGC):

Name: LERNAN

Initials: R

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Irish Guards

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 27/08/1918

Service No: 5467

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. E. 20.

Cemetery: MORY ABBEY MILITARY CEMETERY, MORY

Alan

Further info on Lernan if it helps place him.

From SDGW:

Born: Newtown Forbes, Co Longford

Enlisted: Liverpool

Residence: Clonawhite, Co Clare

Regards,

Garry

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, though I need to prove that he is the man.

My Learnan is on the Cenotaph at Wesham, near Preston in Lancashire. I see this R Lernan, Irish Guards enlisted in Liverpool, so it isn't an impossibility.

Andy

There is a marriage in 1906, Preston.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marriages Mar 1906 (>99%)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lernan Maud Preston 8e 927

Maybe a sister??

Garry

1911 Census does appear to have a Rowland Lernan (born circa 1887 Ireland) living in Wesham Lancashire

Looks like your man

Regards

Pam

Pam and all the rest of this wonderful forum...you are stars!!!!

I've had a look at the Census for Clare, townland of Cloonwhite South and come up with a Rowland and Maud Lerhinan, so I am pretty sure you have found my man for me...what do you think?

Lerhinan William Head of Family Roman Catholic Read-Write 47 Male Pensioner R.I.C. Married Co. Clare Irish-English

Lerhinan Julia Wife Roman Catholic Read-Write 42 Female Married Co. Galway Irish-English

Lerhinan Maude Daughter Roman Catholic Read-Write 17 Female Scholar Not Married Co. Clare Irish-English

Lerhinan Christopher Son Roman Catholic Read-Write 15 Male Scholar Not Married Co. Longford

Lerhinan Rowland Son Roman Catholic Read-Write 13 Male Scholar Not Married Co. Longford

Lerhinan Lilly Daughter Roman Catholic Read-Write 12 Female Scholar Not Married Co. Longford

Lerhinan John Son Roman Catholic Read-Write 7 Male Scholar Not Married Co. Galway

Lerhinan Julia Daughter Roman Catholic Cannot Read 5 Female Scholar Not Married King's Co.

Lerhinan Barbara Daughter Roman Catholic Cannot Read 2 Female Not Married Co. Clare

Andy

• 10 months later...

Hi Myos

I have only just joined this sight, I didn't realise these helpful forums exsisted. We may have a mutual acquaintance, DP from Kirkham. I was round there this afternoon and he mentioned someone who had researched the Freckleton War Memorial.

If that is you I have just looked at the web site you have created, I was really impressed with the format you have used. I am doing something very similar with those listed on the Wesham War Memorial as part of a community history project at university. The project has been advertsied in Wesham community centre and the local Interact community group have been really supportive. Descendants of those killed and those who served and returned have been bringing forward photographs, letters, postcards, medals etc. for a display we are creating. This is following on from a display of the inital reserch findings in December last year.

I have a photograph of Roland Lernan, (spelt slightly differently than on the memorial - but so are a few others) if it is of any use to you. I managed to track him down from snippett from a resident who remembered William Lernan Anderton as a child. I think he was Rolands nephew.

If you are who I hope you are (DP's freind) I can get the photo to you via him.

Regards

Jennifer

Here he is from The Clare War Dead;-

LERNAN, RONALD. Rank: Pte. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment.

Unit; 1st Battalion. Date of Death:27-August-1918. Service No:5467.

Born in Newtown Forbes, County Longford. Enlisted in Liverpool, Lancashire while living in Clonawhite, County Clare. Killed in Action. Grave or Memorial Reference: IV. E. 20. Cemetery: Mory Abbey Military Cemetery, Mory in France.

Here he is from The Clare War Dead;-

LERNAN, RONALD. Rank: Pte. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment.

Unit; 1st Battalion. Date of Death:27-August-1918. Service No:5467.

Born in Newtown Forbes, County Longford. Enlisted in Liverpool, Lancashire while living in Clonawhite, County Clare. Killed in Action. Grave or Memorial Reference: IV. E. 20. Cemetery: Mory Abbey Military Cemetery, Mory in France.

Hello Museumtom

Thank you for your response

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer

Yes I am a friend of DP's and only found your post by looking for something for him on here. He's joined, but is having trouble with the site. You'll have to sort him out next time you're round there.

I missed your presentation last year in wesham, but hope to catch the next one.

Andy

Hi Andy

DP even makes me look capable on the computer, but I'll try my best.

The Project Worker from Wesham Interact is coming round next week. I have done flyers for the next display and she is going to get them displayed with the different groups who use the community centre. Wesham Council are also happy to promote it on their website. The display will be on Sunday 14th November in the centre 12- 4 immediatley after the service at the memorial. Last year it went to the library for four weeks after the inital display, so i will contact Mary the manager and see if she will display it again.

If you do manage to make it there come and introduce yourself - I will be the one running round like a headless chicken. Hope to met in person sometime as I've heard so much about "the lad from freck"

Regards

Jennifer