Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 patches/insignia

eparges

Hi,

I acquired these 2 'patches', of which I presume the first one is a (economy?) slip-on shouldertitle, the other one a sleeve insignia I suppose for a Welsh division, but what date? It mesures 4,5 cm x 4,5 cm and the (coarse) backing material is blue. Any ideas are welcome, thanks!

ins110.jpg

ins210.jpg

Dear egparge

You are correct Royal Berks Regt. I'm not sure when the cloth version was used, all the Berkshire Battalions used the curved medal shoulder titles. In the early part of the war the 4th (1st/4th Bn) wore white on red cloth shoulder titles with a 4 underneath. The dragon is linked as it was the R/Berks cap badge. This cloth version is an exact copy of the Regimental collar dog. One of the battalions wore this as a shoulder flash, but I'm not sure which one.....yet.

Hope that helps

Cheers

MAC

Exellent flashes, the first one is 2/4 battalion Royal Berkshire, white letters with serifs on khaki, the red dragon is the 2nd battalion Royal Berkshire, worn before February 1918, after Feb 1918 it was a red diagonal on a green square.

Lovely pieces Eparges....very nice and scarce.

Well done.

Regards

TT

Thank you all for your contributions! I got them of the 'old auction site', I have no particular interest in british insignia but they looked interesting enough to put a small bid on them...and won! Pity I did't get the other 'dragon' (it looked the other way, so a pair?), the dealer had split the 3 insignia up into 3 different lots, I tried contacting the dealer and buyer but they wouldn't exchange info...allways sad when a group gets split up...

Thank you all for your contributions! I got them of the 'old auction site', I have no particular interest in british insignia but they looked interesting enough to put a small bid on them...and won! Pity I did't get the other 'dragon' (it looked the other way, so a pair?), the dealer had split the 3 insignia up into 3 different lots, I tried contacting the dealer and buyer but they wouldn't exchange info...allways sad when a group gets split up...

eparges, I have sent you a pm