Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Pearson MM 1st Battalion Irish Guards., Parade to The Oval 1.30

markinbelfast

Some of you may read about this in the media over the next few days, its been kept fairly low key so far due to potential threats from dissident republicans.

Thomas Pearson was an english goalkeeper who signed for Glentoran in 1937, he'd previously played for Hull City & Derby County.

He played 98 times for The Glens, but on the outbreak of The Second World War he enlisted in Belfast in the 1st Battalion The Irish Guards.

In 1943 The Glens recieved a letter explaining that he been killed in action in North Africa, he'd been awarded The Military Medal just a few days before his death;

The following are extracts taken from a book (History of The Irish Guards in the 2nd World War) by Major DJL Fitzgerald M.C.

A series of patrols persuaded the Germans to abandon Sidi Naceur, and then the Battalion concentrated on Recce Ridge. It had already sent a strong patrol to "probe" the enemy's defences On Sugar Loaf (Point 305) and found them to be good. On the night of the 24th, Lt Keigwin, Sgt Roberts, L/Sgt Pearson and 13 men from No 3 Coy reached the foot of Sugar Loaf and started to climb it. L/Sgt Pearson took a Bren Gun round one side to cover the patrol as it clambered up the rocks. Halfway-way up the hillside the patrol was challenged and fired on by M.G.38's, belt-fed guns on swivel mountings. The Germans (or Austrians) fired continuously for an hour wasting an enormous amount of precious ammunition, and lobbed small grenades over the side of the hill. Most of the fire was directed at L/Sgt Pearson. In fact, he drew it unto himself by firing tracer at each gun in turn, whilst underneath the machine-gun fire the rifle men fought a brief skirmish in twos and threes.

L/Sgt Pearson was awarded the Military Medal as a result of these actions.

The 1st Battalion of the Irish Guards were heavily involved in the defence of The Bou (ridge) on the 28th April 1943.

Thomas Pearson, husband of Margaret Harper Pearson and son of John and Elizabeth Pearson died on the 28th April 1943. He was a Lance Sergeant in the 1st Battalion of the Irish Guards. Army No 2721484. Thomas Pearson, the Glentoran goalkeeper is buried in Oued Zargara War Cemetery, plot 1.C.24.

The Irish Guards, Glentoran FC & the Glentoran Community Trust have decided to unveil a plaque in memory of this brave soldier at The Oval on Saturday 10th October 2009, before our home game against Portadown.

A parade, led by The Corps Of Drums Of The Irish Guards will leave the East Belfast Mission on the Newtownards Road at 1.30pm, proceeding to The Oval.

A member of my Glentoran Supporters Club who'd stood on th terraces before the war & watched him play, went on serve in action with Thomas in the 1st Battalion, I'm glad to say he is still alive, will be taking part in the parade, & well remembers being informed of his death.

IrishGuardsParade1.jpg

IrishGuardsHomeComforts1.jpg

Thanks. Excellent post: good luck with it.

(I appreciate this is not GW, but it would be nice of the Mods could leave this where everyone could see it, just once bending the rules would be good, i think).

Mark

Just a public thank you for the pics, superb quality and excellent service as always. There seemed to be a lot of "wise men from the east" on the streets for the parade. The lads in the Corps of Drums by the way had a superb day by the way.

Regards, Tommy.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I am interested in Pearsons who have families in Hull. I come from a shipbuilding family from Hull and I am looking for long lost members of the family. Can you help

Regards

Bigs