Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Denny Ward, Pte 1057, 2nd Rhod Reg

Lost in Tilloy

Hi

Came across this possible non-comm in the Cargilfield School & Fettes College ROH.

William Denny Ward, Pte 1507, 2nd Rhodesian Regiment, Accidentally Killed at Kimberley, Cape Colony, German East Africa, July 1918 [according to Fettes ROH].

Born July 1889. Educated at Cargilfield School and Fettes College Edinburgh, Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester. Entered Egypt as theatre of war 15/03/1915. 1914-1915 Star, BWM & VM.

His medal card exists on Ancestery and states that he was 'Deceased' though no date is given. I tried to post a copy using Photobucket but the link wouldn't work for some reason.

Any other info on this potential case appreciated.

Regards

LIT

The Roll of Honour of the members of the 2nd Rhodesia Regiment who served in German East Africa lists him as:

1057 Pte Ward, William Denny Attested 11/1/15 and then simply "Died".

His medal index card attached

post-10435-1254657857.jpg

Alan

I can't see any obvious listingfor him in the GRO Overseas Deaths list - but I wonder if Rhodesians are included in the GRO.

Without a death certificate (or service file), I'm not sure what documentary evidence we could present to CWGC. I believe the South African War Graves Project is searching for non-comm Rhodesians as well as South Africans so it may be worth making contact.

John

Alan

Many thanks for the ROH info and for putting his medal card online. My PC obviously had one of its wobbly moments when I tried to do it yesterday.

John: I'm also not sure what to do if he isn't on GRO. Having initially used Geoff's Search Engine to locate other casualties connected with the 2nd Rhodesian Reg I just couldn't find him and I'm not sure what other documentation there is in the UK to find out about him. Because he was of Scottish origin there may be a 'Minor Service' record about him at Register House in Edinburgh but this is as close as you get to a death certificate for a Scottish related soldier who died in the Great War [only 'other ranks' also, no officers]. I'm not sure if that would be acceptable to the CWGC.

As you suggest, I'll try and contact the South African War Graves Project to get more info. However if anyone from the IFCP has any experience of getting a non-comm who served in an African regiment onto CWGC website then I'd love to hear from you.

Regards

LIT

• 4 months later...
Alan

Many thanks for the ROH info and for putting his medal card online. My PC obviously had one of its wobbly moments when I tried to do it yesterday.

John: I'm also not sure what to do if he isn't on GRO. Having initially used Geoff's Search Engine to locate other casualties connected with the 2nd Rhodesian Reg I just couldn't find him and I'm not sure what other documentation there is in the UK to find out about him. Because he was of Scottish origin there may be a 'Minor Service' record about him at Register House in Edinburgh but this is as close as you get to a death certificate for a Scottish related soldier who died in the Great War [only 'other ranks' also, no officers]. I'm not sure if that would be acceptable to the CWGC.

As you suggest, I'll try and contact the South African War Graves Project to get more info. However if anyone from the IFCP has any experience of getting a non-comm who served in an African regiment onto CWGC website then I'd love to hear from you.

Regards

LIT

Possible hit in South African National Archives. Might have a death notice (might) easy same name recognition.

http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300c...amp;DN=00000024

DEPOT KAB SOURCE MOOC TYPE LEER VOLUME_NO 6/9/1225 SYSTEM 01 REFERENCE 3731 PART 1 DESCRIPTION WARD, WILLIAM. ESTATE PAPERS. STARTING 19180000 ENDING 19180000

• 7 years later...

My name was Alison Johnston nee Ward and I am a relative of William Denny Ward , his father was  my great great great uncle . William  grave stone can be found in Dumbarton cemetery.

Hi Alison

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the information you have shared. I will PM you the current details I have about William Denny Ward.

Kind regards

LIT