Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Eaton MG battery

Desmond7

You've probably got this if you're one of Canadian Machine-Gun 'brigade' but ..

There's a very evocative picture of the burial of Major Knight, officer in command of the Eaton Motor Machine Gun Battery, 1st Canadian MMG Brigade on P. 106 of Peter H. Liddle's 'The Soldier's War 1914-18'. The picture is dated September 1916 and attributed to Lt. Col. George Scroggie.

Would scan if I could but it's horlicksed - maybe someone else has this book?

And a PS to Mordac ... did you get the info and if so, was it what you wanted?

Des

That's the one - cheers David -

Timothy Eaton was a Ballymena man who left the town in the 1800s and founded what I have been told was Canada's premier chain of department stores. A sizeable number of Ballymena men worked at Eatons and the Ballymena's rugby club still plays at 'Eaton Park'.

It used to be said that anyone from Ballymena who emigrated to Canada was virtually guaranteed a job at Eatons.

Des

Eatons was an institution across Canada. My grandmother was employed by the company for over thirty years. Sadly, the once proud company has basically disappeared, another example of a family business which fades away by the time the third or fourth generations are running things.

Here in New Brunswick there is quite a controversy brewing over the works of art (Turners, Gainsboroughs,etc.) in the Beaverbrook Art Gallery. Max Aitken, a New Brunswicker, made his fortune in the UK, became Lord Beaverbrook (of Battle of Britain and newspaper note). His son Max was a noted RAF ace. The old fellow dished out all sorts of gifts to his native province. Now apparently, the current offspring, who have run into financial difficulties, have announced that the paintings were not really gifts but only on loan to the province. They want them back to refurbish their holdings in Britain. Another soap opera!

Excellent and moving photograph. Thanks for this.

Dwight Mercer, Regina, Canada

My grandfather Leslie Payne (1892-1975) also worked for Eaton's Department Store, in Winnipeg, Manitoba - shown in the phot below - as a grocery clerk, both before and after the war. My aunt has a book detailing the part that Eatons men played in the Great War, including a list of all the employees who served with C.E.F.

The following are extracts from the book:

"Returned soldiers declare that one of the best things connected with being an Eaton man was the privilege of making the London and Paris Offices of the Company their headquarters while on leave in these cities. It was indeed "a bit of home" in a foreign land. Being able to draw on their savings accounts, through either of these offices was another advantage much appreciated. But perhaps those who feel they benefitted most were the prisoners of War - there were forty-one of them, now repatriated – who from the Eaton Office at Zurich, through the Bureau de Secours, received each month a parcel containing all kinds of food, as well as tobacco. The head of the office was able to make personal visits to those who were fortunate enough to be sent on subsequently for internment at Berne or Muren."

"At Christmas, Sir John and Lady Eaton and the employees of the Company sent boxes of goodies to each Eaton man in England and France. Lady Eaton also sent each a box of cigarettes. And at the annual meetings of the Company, throughout the War, greetings from the President, Directors and Heads of Departments - in the form of a resolution - were sent to each soldier serving overseas. To the letters containing the copy of these resolutions replies of appreciation would pour into the Secretary from the camps and trenches. Here are two that are typical:"

"A man from the Winnipeg Store writes from Belgium:

Along with the rest of the Store boys over here, I have received a copy of the letter which conveys to us the Greetings and good wishes of the President, Directors and Heads of Departments of the firm, expressed in the form of a resolution at the Annual Meeting.

This token of thoughtfulness and kindness is greatly appreciated by the Store boys I have seen since they received it, as I am quite sure it is by all the rest.

It is an enviable state in the Canadian Army to be an employee of “Eatons.” Certainly the generous arrangements made by the firm for the boys save them untold worry, and makes the bright thoughts of Peace when it comes, brighter still. For this boon we are all profoundly grateful.

With kindest regards to you all."

"A Toronto man writing from Bramshott Camp, says:

Your letter dated February 3rd safely to hand. I would like just to thank you for four good wishes for my welfare, and also for the allowance you are making for. my wife. It gives a fellow heart to do his bit, knowing that his wife and children are. being provided for. I can assure you, you have my heartfelt thanks. I trust we shall soon see the end of this war, then I can try to repay you in a small way by giving my best services.

Again thanking you, and wishing the firm every success in the future."

"For the recent European War, 3,327 Eaton men enlisted for military service. Of this number, 2,200 were from the Toronto Store and Factories, 1,101 were from the Winnipeg Store, and 26 from the Foreign Offices ... Of the 741 Casualties, 238 were killed in action or died of wounds, 470 were wounded, and 41 taken prisoners of War."

"Of Eaton men who have. returned to Canada, but not to work, some are in Convalescent Hospitals, some on military duty in Canada; others found it necessary to take up lighter employment; a few have gone into other occupations. Among the new men engaged by the Company in Toronto and Winnipeg, since the end of the war (in addition to Eaton men returned to work), 1,465 are returned soldiers. To sum it all up there are not many young men of military age around Eaton's who are not wearing the Active Service Button."

Hope this is of interest to other Canadian Researchers. The complete list of Eaton's men who served is too long to post here. However, if you think your serviceman worked for Eaton's, I'd be happy to check the list for you.

Regards and best wishes,

Brett

post-4-1083102290.jpg

Another excerpt from the Eaton's book:

"Before he sailed for Overseas, a photograph was taken of each man, and hung in a conspicuous place of honor in the Store – a visible sign, if such were needed, that he was not forgotten. But infinitely more than sentiment went into the honoring and remembering of the Eaton man Overseas. In recognition of the service he was rendering his King and Country, the following financial arrangement, to supplement his military pay, was made for him by the instruction of Sir John C. Eaton."

"Married men who were in the Eaton employ at the time war was declared, and who voluntarily enlisted, were paid, while on Active Service, the full wages they were receiving from the Company previous to their enlistment."

"Single men who were in the Eaton employ at the time war was declared, and who enlisted voluntarily, were paid, while on Active Service, half the wages they were receiving from the Company previous to their enlistment."

"By the middle of October, 1919, the amount paid out in this Military Service allowance had reached the sum of $2,206,443."

The photo attached here is, I believe, one of those referred to above. It is of my grandfather Leslie Payne (1893-1975), probably taken in Winnipeg in early 1915 before he left for England.

Brett

post-4-1083103023.jpg

... and this is a group of recruits, including my grandfather (at 2nd from left), almost certainly on the sidewalk outside Eaton's Department Store in Winnipeg, also taken in early 1915.

Brett

post-4-1083102874.jpg

Brett - one of the reasons this forum is SO good. Top class effort.

Many thanks Des

Thank you, Des, for starting the thread in the first place, and David, for posting the photo.

Regards and best wishes, Brett

Here is an excerpt regarding the Eaton Motor Machine Gun Battery from "The Canadian Emma Gees" book beginning at page 42, You will note the first officer is Major Knight.

"The Eaton Battery crossed to France the night of February 24th-25th, 1916, and operated as Divisional troops under the 3rd Division, the battery having been formed from the original Eaton M. G. Brigade, most of which had been sent to France as drafts for other M. G. units. The officers serving with this battery were: Major E. L. Knight, Lieuts. W. A. Holloway, P. McMurdoch and E. Osborne.

The unit first known as the Boyle Mounted Machine Gun Detach-ment, and raised by Yukon Joe (later Lieut.-Col.) Boyle in Dawson City, Yukon Territory, had been attached to the Eaton M. G. Brigade. They were not on establishment and had no guns or equipment for many months. Through the winter of 1915-16, they remained at Shorncliffe and then 33 of the 50 originals who had not been selected for drafts to France were formed into a battery which later became attached to the 4th Division in training at Bramshott, as divisional troops. The officers who eventually proceeded to France with the unit were: Capt. H. F. V. Muerling, officer commanding, Lieut. R. D. Harkness, Lieut. W. C. Nicholson, Lieut. H. H. Strong.

Although the establishment of the Brigade companies had been authorized in October, it was not until 1916 that they came into being, and that was on New Year's Day.

The 1st Brigade Company was mobilized near Mont des Cats; the 2nd near Ploegstreert and the 3rd near Meteren.

The roster of officers in the three companies were:

1st C.M.G. Company - Capt. W. J. A. Lalor, O.C.; Lieuts. J. I. Bundy, A. W. Couler, H. E. Detchon, A. F. Dowling, S. A. Griffin, F. Hotrum, W. H. Scruton, G. T. Scott-Brown.

2nd C.M.G. Company - Capt. T. H. Raddall, O.C.; Lieuts F. Edgar, J. E. Hetherington, N. E. Kitson, J. E. Mathews, C. G. McLean, J. A. Ptolmy, J. J. Sclater, R. McB. Stewart, B. S. Walton.

3rd C.M.G. Company - Capt. E. H. Houghton, O.C.: Capt W. M. Pearce, Lieuts. F. M. Bressey, L. Buchanan, E. W. Brookfield, A. Denholm, J. Kay, H. A. Kennedy, J. M. McEachern, G. K. McBeth, H. G. Pepall, J. S. Thorpe, H. M. Wilson.

The companies were equipped and made ready for the line in the order of their brigades with the exception of the 3rd Company, which was unable to obtain guns for several months.

The machine gun units of the 2nd Division were formed in the same way.

The roster of officers of the three companies upon formation were as follows:

4th C.M.G. Company - Lieut. J. Edwards, O.C.; Lieuts. J. Dun-canson, W. J. Forbes-Mitchell, A. D. Gray G. H. J. James, J. Mess, H. J. Price, J. G. Weir, J. F. White, R. W. White.

5th C.M.G. Company - Lieut. S. W. Watson, O.C.; Lieuts. L. H. Bartram, A. C. Bowles, C. V. Grantham, W. H. F. Ketcheson, J. E. McCorkell, C. E. H. Thomas, F. H. Duck.

6th C.M.G. Company - Lieut. T.A.H. Taylor, O.C.; J. Basevi, C. L. Beck, A. G. W. McLean, G. G. White, A. Eastham.

The 3rd Division companies were also formed in the line. The units were organized in March and April and on formation, the following officers were serving:

7th C.M.G. Company - Capt. H. F. Cook, O.C.; Lieuts. H. T. Beecroft, G. O. C. Fenton, F. A. Hale, G. T. Scroggie, W. F. Tobey, W. G. Williams, E. H. Ziegler.

8th C.M.G. Company - Capt. W. M. Balfour, O.C.; S. J. Redpath, P. W. Beatty, C. N. Bennett, J. R. Coull, W. C. Ince, C. W. Laubach, W. N. Moorehouse, H. J. C. Morgan, F. A. Ney, A. W. Sine, H. C. Young.

9th C.M.G. Company - Capt. W.H. Bothwell, O.C.; Lieuts. H. D. Browne, G. W. Beresford, R. C. Cordingly, K. Eager, I. Mackinnon, E. I. H. Ings, L. S. Page, G. Rutherford, R. A. Whittaker.

"

Do any of you have any information about, or a photo of, Frank Bosher? According to his service papers he was Battery Serjeant Major of the Eaton Machine Gun Battery in 1915. On 23 August 1915 he was appointed Regimental Sergeant Major of the Eaton Machine Gun Brigade. He was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Royal Field Artillery on 19 January 1916.

Any assistance appreciated. Regards. Dick Flory

Eaton's in downtown Montreal had a large bronze memorial plaque on the main floor. I don't remember if it was for both wars or not (probably was). It was moved once when the store was integrated into the next door Eaton Centre.

Since Eaton's closed I haven't been back to the store so I wonder what happened to the plaque?