Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Neepsend War Memorial, Sheffield.

Roger Thompson

Hi there all,

I am trying to find out wether there is a War Memorial at Neepsend, Sheffield as I have a name of a soldier from there that died during WW1, I have found a list of them and he is amongst them but can not find out where or if there is one.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Roger.

Hi there Kath,

Thats the same one the guy I'm interested in is the first one , I tried searching for that church, cannot find any reference to it, hence the question about any memorials Public in the area, although from Batley I realise that Neepsend was in the very heavily industrialised part of Sheffield.

Cheers Roger.

Hi Paul,

Thanks, but its at the wrong end of town.

Cheers Roger.

Hi Kath,

Oooops tired eyes last night and foggy brain today just clicked the link fully open, looks like a trip down to the Archives and renew my ticket is required,

Thanks again

Roger.

Hi Roger,

may i ask which name it is your interested in ?

The church was erected in 1867, demolished 1955. The parish created in 1868 from Christ Church, Pitsmoor. The parish united with Holy Trinity, Wicker in 1952 when St. Michael's closed.

No idea what happened to the roll of honour.

Original Registers : Held at Sheffield Archives ( PR 49 )

Baptism's 1867 - 1942; 1950 - 1953

Marriage's 1868 - 1942

Copies on microfilm available through LDS Family History Centres

Baptism's 1867 - 1901

Marriage's 1868 - 1908

A picture of the Church here -

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl

hope this help's

regards

Dean.

Hi there Dean,

Its Robert Adams, 39846, 9th Battalion KOYLI died 9/4/1917 in the Arras area. He was born in 1886 in Neepsend and married a Jane Markham.

It does not look like his service record survived, and I am looking at this for a cousin 2 removed as its her granddad, so anything of help is greatley appreciated.

I only live 30 odd miles away and do have a archives card, so I think a visit there is in order, and also help with my recover.

Cheers Roger.

• 14 years later...
On 04/10/2009 at 12:09, Roger Thompson said:

Hi there Dean,

Its Robert Adams, 39846, 9th Battalion KOYLI died 9/4/1917 in the Arras area. He was born in 1886 in Neepsend and married a Jane Markham.

It does not look like his service record survived, and I am looking at this for a cousin 2 removed as its her granddad, so anything of help is greatley appreciated.

I only live 30 odd miles away and do have a archives card, so I think a visit there is in order, and also help with my recover.

Cheers Roger.

Its an old post so apologies for resurrecting it. I'm in the process of writing a book about the Neepsend War Memorial and the soldiers named on it. I have a little bit of biography info about Robert Adams but any additional info would be great.

Hello there Pete6,

Sorry I can't help you as the person who I originally helped as since died and I can't find my paper work, best of luck to you as it seemed the records for the KOYLI were destroyed in the fire in WW2.

Roger Thompson.

18 hours ago, Pete6 said:

I have a little bit of biography info about Robert Adams but any additional info would be great.

Pete,

Welcome to GWF.

It may help all to help you if you can offer your info to us as a starter.

Meantime this is Robert Adams, 39846, KOYLI, widow's dependant's pension index card

image.png.a56a50b346cc0c7dc77ccc19ca844741.png

Image thanks to WFA/Fold3

M

Edit: Initial pension was awarded under the 1917 Royal Warrant. 

Claim Case no. 1566

DoB 8.6.89 = his widow's - needed because her pension could potentially have been age-enhanced [if >44]

For a Private's widow [<45] her pension was 13/9 pw plus 5/- pw allowance for her child [<16] = 18/9 from 29.10.17 ... a 6 month wait was standard whilst death was confirmed and the necessary calcs made [Rates later amended/increased under the later 1918 and 1919 Royal Warrants]

£3 Grant = for urgent expenses arising from his death [originally earlier in the war commonly used for mourning dress but later more likely to be used for newspaper inserts [potentially with a photo - you can try British Newspaper Archive, also via Find My Past]

image.png.cc74fe77b7c0cdc4faad78bf4bca68d0.png

Image from 'War Pensions & Allowances' by Hogge & Garside, p.266 - thanks to Internet Archive, www.archive.org

SA = Separation Allowance, usually slightly higer than a pension, continued to be paid from death to pension

50F = Form 50F - to change from SA to pension

N/N = Noted for Novel - believed to mean special calculation

The additional handwritten codes in the boxes I believe = identity references for her/her daughter's claims - she would have to use to collect from a Post Office

DEAD 1931 refers to the claim becoming dead - this would seem to match her daughter becoming 16.  This leaves the question had his widow remarried [and lost her pension in favour of a one-off remarriage gratuity] or had she died?  Another PIC shows she had become Jane Elizabeth BOLDY c. 1929 so it rather seems she had remarried [daughter's allowance would continue to be paid to her mother up to age 16].

Edited by Matlock1418
edit Grant abstract image

Hello there Matlock1418,

That widows record is the first time I have seen that, as I said to Pete6 I looked into this man for my cousin twice removed, the child Doris was my cousins mother and I met her one she was living in Shepperton South London and as soon as I walked in and opened my mouth she said your from Yorkshire we both laughed and she slipped back into talking like a Yorkshire person, we had good natter.

Roger Thompson.

1 hour ago, Roger Thompson said:

That widows record is the first time I have seen that

:)

Earlier I was a bit parsimonious with my interpretation [i.e. none!] ...  Have briefly added a bit more above.

I hope of interest and helps avoid potential misinterpretation

M

Edited by Matlock1418

Thank you that's very informative.

Roger.

I know that Robert Adams was one of eight children born to Reuben Adams and Hannah Jane Elizabeth and that they lived in Neepsend at 14, Parkwood Road. 

Robert married Jane Elizabeth Markham at St Mary's Church in Walkley and they set up home on Neepsend Lane. In 1915, the couple had a daughter named Doris.

Edited by Pete6
Spelling

Hello Pete6,

Thank you for posting this information I had forgotten some of the details as it was back in 2009 when I did the research and I was recovering from a Prostate Cancer operation.

Jane would have lost her widows pension upon remarrying but kept the pension for her daughter until she was 16.

Best regards

Roger. 

20 hours ago, Pete6 said:

Robert's widow Jane remarried on Christmas Day 1919 to an ex soldier called William Henry Boldy.

Under the 1919 RW: Re-marriage gratuity equal to one year of her widow's pension under Article 11

M

Edit: To clarify on re-marriage ...  gratuity paid under 1919 RW, Article 14 = gratuity equal to one year of her widow's pension [as awarded] under Article 11

Edited by Matlock1418
Edit:

1 hour ago, Matlock1418 said:

Under the 1919 RW: Re-marriage gratuity equal to one year of her widow's pension under Article 11

M

Thank you for that information.