Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Courts Martial

mutley

I'm not sure if this belongs in the Soldiers section but couldn't think of anywhere else to put it (Mods feel free to move).

I'm researching a soldier who has forfeited his 1915 Star and has the comment "15 Star forfeited 5 years PS" next to it; which I am taking as 5 years penal servitude. He originally deployed to Gallipoli in 1915 but was KIA in F & F in 1917.

So is there anyway of finding out if he was the subject of a Courts Martial, do the records exist at the NA. Secondly would it be possible for his 5 years of PS to be commuted if he volunteered to go back to the front. I believe that he may have been charged with desertion as I have found the chap with the next regimental number to his form the same cap badge with a comment of "15 Star forfeited convicted of desertion". My mans 15 Star was reinstated after his death.

Any help or suggestions greatly received.

Rgds

Mutley

Hi Mutley, it's a long shot, but post his name and I will have a look on my courts martial CD for you.

Susan.

Susan

thank you, his name is Pte David Edward Garratt and he is Royal Warwickshire Regiment also Pte Thomas Taylor of the same regiment.

Thanks again

Mutley

Hi Mutley,

nothing for either man. Sorry.

Susan.

Susan

thanks for looking, I know Thomas Taylor was charged with desertion and Garratt has the next number in line, so I wondered if perhaps they were both Pals involved in the same thing.

Thanks again

Mutley

Had a quick look on ancestry in the pensions for both and service for garrett but nothing apparent. if you post their numbers I will have as good a look as i can.

Susan.

Susan

thanks, I've checked for both on ancestry but unfortunately nothing has survived other than their Medal Index Cards.

Regards

mutley

Pte Garrett 9th Royal Warwickshire was charged with quitting or sleeping on post, date of trial 26th November 1915 trial held in the field Gallipoli, sentenced to death, commuted to 5 years p.s

Pte David Edward Garratt, was still serving in the 9th Warwicks in Mesopotamia, and was wounded on 5/4/16 in the relief of kut. Newspaper The Birmingham Daily Post 12 May 1916. Looks like he was sent back to UK to recover and transferred to the 2/6th RWR. I have a quite a few 9th Warwicks who were sent home and transferred to others Battalions and died on the Western Front

post-3604-1254647989.jpg

Most Courts Martial papers suffered the same fate as service records in 1940, only those where the Death sentence was carried out seem to remain intact from 1914-18 except in 2 cases.