Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Londonthorpe, Grantham

boris

Does anyone have any info on this training camp? I recently found out that my g.uncle Robert T. Moore died there when he was with the East Yorks Reg. [6th Btn]. I'm going down there 'hopefully!' this weekend to the ST. John The Baptist Churchyard, Londonthorpe, where i believe there are a few graves.....many of which are New Zealanders? could this be right? Anyway will take camera.

Got lost here mate...? ;)

From different sources, including this Forum (!) I have gathered that the Machine Gun Corps was based at Grantham after it was formed in October 1915.

There were at least two training camps: Harrowby Camp and Belton Park Camp.

At Belton Park Camp a Machine Gun Training Centre was established where depot companies received soldiers to be trained in the use of the Vickers machine gun.

The soldiers either volunteered or were assigned to these depot companies, got their M.G.Coys regimental number or in the case of transferral from a existing regiment were 'renumbered'

Yours,

(Grandson)Michael

Thanks (Grandson)Michael,

I had searched this site for any info! .......ITS JUST SO BIG! and yes i found out about the machine gun corps. The additional info will help a lot! I am hoping to go to kew this summer, mainly to find info on my grandfather and my two uncles [ww2] I just wanted a bit of back ground information as you gave me, thanks. One little snippet i have found which may interest .....the first ever police woman in England were deployed in Grantham 'to controll the unwanted attentions of the 18000 men stationed in the area toward the local girls during ww1'

Thanks again.

In late 1914 and early 1915 the Grantham area was used for training purposes by the 11th (Northern) Division, which included your uncle's battalion.

Of the late 1914/early 1915 burials in the churchyard, all are to members of the 11th Division (ie 5th Dorsets, 11th Mancs, 7th S Staffs, 9th W Yorks, 9th Lancs Fusetc)

I would suggest any connection netween Robert and the MGC would be unlikely, with him being a memeber of the 6th E Yorks at the time of his death.

You might want to call Grantham library to see if they have copies of the 1915 newspapers to view, might have something on how your uncle lost his life.

Good luck with your research,

Jim

Thanks Jim,

Thats great! I have found a local [as in my locality, Durham] newspaper article that states he ''died tragicaly on his way to a salvation army meeting?'' But i agree a trip to Grantham local studies library may be the way to go. Thanks again.

I have pictures of all the CWGC headstones in Grantham town cemetery.If you need a picture let me know. The picture below is of a group of MGC all from Aus/NZ at Grantham

Keith

post-6-1083702956.jpg

Hi Keith,

If you have any pics from nearby ST. John The Baptist Churchyard, Londonthorpe, that would be great [namely R.T. Moore]. Are you just interested in the Grantham CWGC headstones or would you be interested in any Co. Durham ones i could photograph for you?

Regards,

Neil

Hi Neil

My interest are the War Memorials and CWGC headstones of Rultand . I am building a database on all the men and women killed in WW1. The idea is to try and get a picture of all the headstones as and when I go to France etc (done about 10 trips in the last five years ) . Stamford and Grantham cemetery's are just 10 minutes a way from me, So I have got them all on my computer. Londonthorpe is just up the road from work and I have to go that way on Thursday to pickup the car (MOT etc ). I can take my digital camera and take a few pictures if that will save you a trip

Cheers Keith

Keith,

That would be fantastic! you have saved me a lot of earache from my good wife! I did manage to take a couple of pics for forum members last weekend but sadly never got down to Grantham, Keith your a star! .....i love this forum!

Neil.

Been to Londonthorpe today and have took pictures of all the headstones. If you would like a pictures please Email me off forum

Notts & Derby 2

M.G.C. 11

Middlesex 1

K.O.Y.L.I. 1

South Staffordshire 2

Royal engineers 1

Manchester 1

Dorsetshire 3

East Yorkshire 1

West Yorkshire 2

NZ 2

Cheshire 1