Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mentioned in despatches.

TWORLEDGE

Hi Everyone,

My Great Uncle George Leonard Spears has a second medal card with MID 1/1/16 LG page 50. on it. I've found the image of the relevant page in the London Gazette but I'm wondering why this information would be in with his MIC. Would it have been engraved on one of his medals?

Terry.

Hi Everyone,

My Great Uncle George Leonard Spears has a second medal card with MID 1/1/16 LG page 50. on it. I've found the image of the relevant page in the London Gazette but I'm wondering why this information would be in with his MIC. Would it have been engraved on one of his medals?

Terry.

Because a Soldier who was Mentioned In Dispatches was allowed to wear an emblem of a bronze oak leaf on the relevant campaign medal denoting that fact. As this emblem would have been issued with his medals, reference to his entitlement would be necessary.

Terry,

An oak-leaf emblem was awarded to anyone mentioned in dispatches -

http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/themedals.htm

I assume your Great Uncle was 6903 KRRC. At the bottom of the MIC the emblem details are recorded.

John

Hi John

thanks for that I looked it up and it looks very nice on the ribbon. Never met my great uncle he went to Canada in the mid 20s. You are correct with the number. Another little detail for the family history. Terry.

Because a Soldier who was Mentioned In Dispatches was allowed to wear an emblem of a bronze oak leaf on the relevant campaign medal denoting that fact. As this emblem would have been issued with his medals, reference to his entitlement would be necessary.

Thanks Andrew. The only thing I could think of was engraving it on the medal. Never even crossed my mind about Oak leaf emblems. I knew they used bars for different things. Mine of information in her Thanks again Terry.

I'm wondering why this information would be in with his MIC.

The second medal index card purely for the Mention in Despatches was for the clerks to keep a record of the times he was MiD, when they were written the Oak Leaf had not been instigated.

• 2 weeks later...

The MiD oakleaf was worn on the ribbon of the Victory Medal if the man had been awarded it, otherwise directly onto his coat/jacket at the end of the row of medals.

Ron

Hi Ron

My granddad also got a mention. I have the oak leaf on his Victory Medal.

I also have a certificate, signed by no less a person then Churchill which states that he was mentioned in a despatch from General Sir Douglas Haig on such and such a date.

It does not say why though. I would love to find out. He was Gnr ( Acting Bombadier) Arthur Duncan Whyte of 118th Siege Battery RGA. Any chance you could help me find out?

I can get more detail if needs be.....

Unfortunately, you are unlikely to find the exact reason why; men's names were submitted for consideration. If you read the Dispatch where he was Mentioned you will find the circumstances.