Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Spot/Springfield Farms

Ian C

My great Uncle Pte. Edward Chambers, 29262, 1/7 Royal Warwicks, was KIA on 27/8/17 during 3rd Ypres. The war diary states that on this date they attacked Spot Farm and Springfield Farm, which I understand were bunkers. I have not been able to find either of these on a map, does anyone have any idea of their exact location or better still a map that shows them.

Thanks

IanC

Ian - I make it West of Tirpitz farm. Its on the Langemark-Zonnebeke road between Vancouver Corner/Triangle and Winnipeg.

Springfield farm was on the W side of the road, about 100 yds North of a small pond which is marked on the trenchmaps and which is still there today. The pillbox was beside the farm, I think just to the S of the building which is there today. There is a new farm on the other side of the road.

My greatuncle was killed beside the pillbox with 1/1 Herts, 39 Div on 31/7/1917

Charles

• 2 years later...

I thought springfield farm was between Seine and Dochy farm ; In the maarlestraat(maarlestreet) anno 2006.

Marnik

Hello,

Like Marnik said,

Springfield, N of Zonnebeke.

Regards,

Cnock

post-7723-1149102428.jpg

Hello Cnock,

Do you have a map of Mousetrap farm, is it in the same area?

Marnik

Hello Marnik,

it is not in the same area.

Send me a PM, and I'll look it up for You

Regards,

Cnock

Its on the Langemark-Zonnebeke road between Vancouver Corner/Triangle and Winnipeg.

Springfield farm was on the W side of the road, about 100 yds North of a small pond which is marked on the trenchmaps and which is still there today. The pillbox was beside the farm, I think just to the S of the building which is there today. There is a new farm on the other side of the road.

There is indeed also a 'Springfield' a few hundred meters south of Vancouver Corner...

Robert

Hello Malcolm, Robert,

As You said.

Regards,

Cnock

post-7723-1149273529.jpg

So, we do need to find 'Spot Farm' to decide what of the two Springfields we are looking for...

Robert

Spot Farm is/was near Winnipeg northeast of St Julien. Find St Julien, go east until you reach the Langemark road at Winnipeg and going up that road towards Langemark you reach Spot Farm and about a 500 yards further on Springfield Farm.

Aye

Malcolm

• 16 years later...

and 18 years later I am adding Sgt 267016 William Henry Talbot of the 1st/7th Bn who was also killed in action during the successful operation to capture Springfield Farm to the SWFHS War Memorial database.

image.png.2cf5668efa1e8e17a21e3746e59cb495.png

19 hours ago, EDWARD1 said:

Springfield 28NW2 C12b4.6 and Spot C12b8.3

They are nicely shown on TrenchMapper, use ID=ma_000650.

Right click and choose Map ID Jump.

Howard