Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with uniform please!

Bob Chandler

post-6111-1254431245.jpg

This photo is of my relative Alfred Chandler who served in 14th Bn Gloucestershire Regiment (1918) However, his uniform in this photo definitely looks very un-infantrylike (if that's a word) to me. Artillery? Any help appreciated. (Medal index card I have located states also served in RGA - assuming I have correct one).

Many thanks

Charles

Highly likely, johdpurs and leather spats although not exclusive proof. Overseas service chevrons (2/3?) on right cuff and one good conduct stripe, but no skills badges.

Roop

Charles,

If it assists you determine if the correct man, the actual roll for Alfred E CHANDLER 230993 confirms he served with 14 Btn Glos Reg, and his middle name was Ernest. The RGA number to me suggests he was transferred second or third quarter 1918.

Rgds Paul

Charles

This could be a photo of him in the Gloucesters. Some men in infantry regiments were assigned to mounted duties, eg. horse-drawn transport, and were dressed accordingly.

Regards,

W.

Many thanks all! I have now obtained 2 further photos which I believe to be of Alfred in the Gloucestershire Regiment, obviously taken at different times, the cap badge in both looks like the distinctive Sphinx emblem to me, would you agree? And what would be the significance of the armband? Cheers Charles

post-6111-1254655852.jpg

post-6111-1254655768.jpg

A close up of the top photo badge would be helpful. The belt might indicate that he was Territorial.

The bottom one does appear to be Glosters.

He is mounted troops in the bottom photo - the bandolier was issued for riders. He might have riding breeches on as well.

A close up of the top photo badge would be helpful. The belt might indicate that he was Territorial.

The bottom one does appear to be Glosters.

He is mounted troops in the bottom photo - the bandolier was issued for riders. He might have riding breeches on as well.

This is about as well as I can do with the photo......

post-6111-1254670432.jpg

I suppose the next question I need to try to answer is why (and how) someone from a Bantam Infantry Battalion would transfer to the RGA.

The arm band could signify that he was a courier (or doing some other signals related task). This would explain the mounted gear (including his bandolier).

And what would be the significance of the armband? Cheers Charles

Could be Horse Driver? Signaller? Infantry still needed logistics. If he was good with horses, that could explain his going Arty.