Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Garrison Artillery

TWSRGA

Please, can anyone help me with this topic?

I am intersted in the active service establishment for a Heavy Battery (60 pounder guns) serving in F & F. I would like as much detail as possible, particularly about the number and ranks of the "trades", eg Farriers. Presumably there was also an establishment for horses of different types.

Stan

5 officers

163 other ranks (4 section sgts, 1 / 2 signal sergeant (?),1 BQMS, 1 BMS, 23 signallers, 12 battery drivers, 24 other drivers)

Some of the O/Rs would of course be the battery signallers and some on the battery baggage train/ammo column

Roop

Hello Stan

Here are the figures for August 1916 onwards - previously a battery had only four guns, with a total of 198 all ranks.

Heavy Artillery Battery and Ammunition Column (6 x 60-pounder guns)

Battery: Major, Captain, 4 Subalterns, BSM, BQMS, 8 Serjeants, Farrier-Serjeant, 3 Shoeing-smiths (incl one cpl), 2 Saddlers, 1 Wheeler, 1 Staff-Sjt Fitter, 1 Smith, 7 Corporals, 8 Bombardiers, 110 Gunners, 71 Drivers, 7 Batmen.

Attached: Serjeant AVC, 3 Drivers ASC.

Ammunition Column: Subaltern, 1 Serjeant, 2 Shoeing-smiths, 1 Saddler, 1 Wheeler, 1 Fitter, 1 Corporal, 2 Bombardiers, 12 Gunners, 35 Gunners as Drivers, 1 Batman. Attached: 1 Driver ASC.

I don't have the figures for the horses, I'm afraid, but I have somewhere the breakdown of horses and vehicles for a four-gun battery. The full breakdown may be available on "The Long Long Trail" or on the WFA website.

Ron

To Roop and Ron.

My apologies for not replying sooner. I have not been able to get to my PC until now.

Thank you for the info. I am confused by the difference of about 50 in total between the two replies. Do the figures given by Roop refer to a battery of 4 guns? I ask because he identifies only 4 Section Serjeants.

I was surprised by the number of "trades" required to keep a battery in the field.

Thanks again.

Stan

Hello Stan

I think Roop's figures are for a four-gun HB but do not include the Amm Col which was an integral part of the unit.

As regardss the "trades", bear in mind that RGA batteries were originally meant to be more self-supporting than their RFA brethren (where three or four batteries in a brigade could share them).

Ron