Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dragon

Before (German card posted 1915). Reichackerkopf from the other side, and the village of Metzeral. Els = Elsaß = the German word for Alsace, which was German at the time.

4133028961_b927e2786c.jpg

and after (not same viewpoint):

4133029661_57b87ae887.jpg

My postcards.

Gwyn

Thanks for posting the "before" and "after" postcards Gwyn,

The first postcard reminds me how beautiful the area was (and is); the second that that front wasn't just fought "up in the hills".

• 1 month later...

In post 83 I showed a view across to Reichackerkopf from Hohrodberg in May.

3992017501_fb9f28e3ac.jpg

This is the view just before Christmas, 2009. The snow was deep higher up, and a couple of days later would fully cover the lower areas. Many roads were impassible and though I'd hoped to go up to the higher front line areas, the roads were closed.

Reichackerkopf, late afternoon.

4270264090_e6f7ae3b5e.jpg

And a wide angle shot:

4270278134_0fb88f55fb_o.jpg

(Late afternoon - custom white balance - sorry it's blue.)

• 2 weeks later...

While looking at an old photo album, I chanced upon a couple of images which have some relevance to this thread. The photos were taken about 1987 but I'm fairly certain of the locations. The first image is of a German bunker in the garden of our gite at Tannach, near Orbey. At that time, I only had a passing interest in the Great War or I would have taken many more photos. Any information gleaned from the plaque will be gratefully received.

post-12111-1264344513.jpg

This image is a view along the preserved trenches at Le Linge. The incredibly short distance between the lines was very striking.

post-12111-1264345014.jpg

Please be aware, that the Linge(kopf) is 6 km northeast of Reichackerkopf, next to Schratzmännele. In between both are Kleinkopf, Barrenkopf and notorious Schratzmännele which are described on GWF elsewhere

What an excellent thread!! I have some how missed in the past

best regards John

Ian, why don't you read this very much "personalized" story about your sign depicted in your post?

Thank you very much indeed, Egbert, for this excellent link.

Ian, why don't you read this very much "personalized" story about your sign depicted in your post?

Egbert, Once again you have pulled a rabbit out of a hat !!! A wealth of interesting history. Thank you for sharing this.

Tony

Thank you; here is the full account from Lt Dose in the Vosges/Lingekopf but it is in German. The pictures though are much better viewable than in the other link

Thank you for the links, Egbert. I had seen the German version, but not the English and unfortunately I can't read German. The link is a geat help.

John, I'm glad you enjoyed the thread!

Gwyn

• 1 year later...

A fascinating thread with some fascinating background information and wonderful photographs. I am intrigued to know to what if any degree existing WWI fortifications were reused in the German defence of the Colmar Pocket in 1944/45, which surely took place across the same terrain.

Hi Dragon excellent photos would like to travel there some time can you post a map of the area?

Cheers

Rick

• 3 years later...

One hundred years later: February 19th onwards, 1915.

Thanks Dragon,

You have opened up another battlefield visit.