Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No 2 General Hospital Walton on Thames

squirrel

Any information or pictures of this hospital greatfully received.

Thanks in advance.

There were three military hospitals in the Walton on Thames area:

Sawyers, Chequers lane

Golf View Hospital, formerly Obo Hospital

And

Mount Felix Hospital (where the New Zealanders were treated).

The first two are mentioned on page 630 of the Red Cross Report issued in 1921 while there is some material and pictures relating to Mount Felix at the Surrey History Centre in Woking.

regards

Bootneck

• 4 months later...

I lived at Mount Felix from 1940 until 1957 when I enlisted in HM forces. There was a plaque on the gates leading into the drive commemorating the New Zealand soldiers who died whilst being nursed there. My mother always laid a poppy wreath during her time in residence. We were installed in a flat by the army, my father was a serving soldier. The building, an early 19th century mansion, was demolished in rather 'dodgy' circumstances, in 1965. The plaque may now be in the Weybridge museum, where there are some excellent photographs of Mount Felix. There are a number of New Zealand soldiers buried in the cemetery close to Walton Parish church, I think 17 cwgc headstones plus a memorial. Local cadet units always paraded in the cemetery on Anzac day. Even during the time that I live there you could see evidence of ward numbers etc written in the corridors. Feel quite nostalgic and soppy now my memories have been stirred, better go for a drink. When I arrived in singapore circa 1957 I was posted up country to Kedah. Arrived at the railway station where the RTO looked at my pink 18 year old face and placed me into the care of a company from the Royal New Zealnd Regt. to baby sit a young pommy dog handler. what goes round comes round.

Great blokes those kiwis. Tony P

• 4 years later...

My Father in Law Ivor Norman Fleet ,31249, NZEF, was injured 22nd October 1917 at Passchendaele, he arrived at Walton on Thames 24/11/1917 and we know from his pay books was at Oatlands for the majority of his time till he left on the "HS Marama" to return to NZ on 9/6/19.

Oatlands was attached to and part of NZGH #2 at Walton on Thames, Norm had his right leg amputated, and Oatlands was set up to cater for amputees and TB cases, We have an excellent selection of photos that were sent home by Norm to his mother and would be happy to post these for the information of members, they will be referred to the "I N Fleet collection" and we ask if they are used or posted to other sites they be credited, I will post a few photos with notes as I am able.

One that I am asking assistance with is the photos of a young lady who is in a lot of the photos and appears to be in a uniform, we know her name is Norah, but have no other info, is there any records of personal who worked at Walton on Thames that may help us Identify her?

Problem, just tried to upload her photo and am to;ld it is to big, what do I need to do to? Michael

Sue and Bootneck, May I have the connection to the info

I lived at Mount Felix from 1940 until 1957 when I enlisted in HM forces. There was a plaque on the gates leading into the drive commemorating the New Zealand soldiers who died whilst being nursed there. My mother always laid a poppy wreath during her time in residence. We were installed in a flat by the army, my father was a serving soldier. The building, an early 19th century mansion, was demolished in rather 'dodgy' circumstances, in 1965. The plaque may now be in the Weybridge museum, where there are some excellent photographs of Mount Felix. There are a number of New Zealand soldiers buried in the cemetery close to Walton Parish church, I think 17 cwgc headstones plus a memorial. Local cadet units always paraded in the cemetery on Anzac day. Even during the time that I live there you could see evidence of ward numbers etc written in the corridors. Feel quite nostalgic and soppy now my memories have been stirred, better go for a drink. When I arrived in singapore circa 1957 I was posted up country to Kedah. Arrived at the railway station where the RTO looked at my pink 18 year old face and placed me into the care of a company from the Royal New Zealnd Regt. to baby sit a young pommy dog handler. what goes round comes round.

Great blokes those kiwis. Tony P

There were three military hospitals in the Walton on Thames area:

Sawyers, Chequers lane

Golf View Hospital, formerly Obo Hospital

And

Mount Felix Hospital (where the New Zealanders were treated).

The first two are mentioned on page 630 of the Red Cross Report issued in 1921 while there is some material and pictures relating to Mount Felix at the Surrey History Centre in Woking.

regards

Bootneck

Bootneck , can you direct me to how I may access the info on Mt Felix that you mention Please, presume they have a website, thanks in advance Michael