Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Powerpoint' projectors- technical help please!

burlington

Hello

In a few weeks, I am due to give a couple of talks using a 'Powerpoint' projector, my laptop, a Powerpoint presentation and a DVD film.

I have used these projectors before BUT, with the film having sound, I don't know whether the projectors are equipped for sound or whether I should take my speakers.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Martin

It depends on what make and model projector is provided. Some have sound and others do not. However experience suggests that even when they do have sound its not very loud so if you have speakers that have an amplification facility I'd take them as a precaution.

Thanks Centurion.

A wise precaution.

One of the locations is in a theatre so they should be properly equipped. For the other location they are hiring the projector so anything can happen!

Fingers crossed!

Regards

Martin

I used to give business presentations in hotel conference suites and conference centres. We paid handsomely for professional ambience and equipment. Usually the ambience was OK but the equipment rarely was. My advice is to take everything you have that is relevant, including extension leads.

Yes I'd agree with Clive. The only fully effective projector I've used was in India and was a domestically produced (rugged) model not exported. On one occassion in the Middle East the projector caught fire! I always take as much as I can with me (even down to a set of overhead projector slides as back up). BTW from experience I wouldn't count on the theatre - often you find you can't easily connect to their system (if they actually have one!). I always tried to make sure I got to the venue with enough time to check the system worked before my audience arrived. The firm I worked for lost a valuable contract in Turkey as a result of failing to allow for this (relying on assurances from the local organiser that everything would be OK). And don't think that things are any better in the UK.

Things ain't what they should be obviously.

Right, twice warned, twice armed.

Thanks.

Martin

I always take as much as I can with me (even down to a set of overhead projector slides as back up). I always tried to make sure I got to the venue with enough time to check the system worked before my audience arrived.

Both points very wise. As OH projectors are not always found, I print off the presentation on paper before arriving. At least I can stand there doing an old fashioned lecture if the audio/video has completely packed up.

Also I have the presentation on my laptop, and on two separate USB flash drives. In case my laptop fails, another one can usually be found.

Getting to the venue with plenty of time beforehand is far more relaxing than panicking at the end.

A further point often overlooked. Insist beforehand that there is something substantial to stand the projector on that is the right height - how often have presentations been done with projectors (and sometimes lap tops) precariously balanced on piles of books, boxes etc on a rickety table.

Also make sure some one knows how to operate the projector focussing etc (there seems to be no standard system). Whoever collects the machine from the hire company should ask to be shown this (they often don't).

I once turned up to run a course to find that the hire company had delivered a 35 mm slide projector - no one had bothered to check!

Don't want to turn you paranoid or anything

Don't want to turn you paranoid or anything

Hey, no problem with that. I went there a long time ago!

Anyway, many thanks again for the replies.

Martin