Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Possible man missing from CWGC online

welshdoc

21162 W Moores East lancashire 6410 Lancashire fusiliers appears on soldiers died

but I cant for the life of me even using Geoffs (soon to die) search engine find him on CWGC . His Mic shows no sign of his fate . There is no service record in Ancestry. Was he a casualty? Gareth

Name: Walter Moores

Birth Place: Hulme, Lancs

Residence: Manchester

Death Date: 7 Jul 1916

Enlistment Location: Clayton, Lancs

Regiment: East Lancashire Regiment

Battalion: 2nd Battalion.

Number: 21162

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theatre of War: Aldershot

Comments: Formerly 6410, Lancs Fus.

MOORES is a case in hand with IFCP.

His case went forward on 25.07.09 with a decision awaited.

Also, note that the 'Theatre of War' field on Ancestry's SDGW is total nonsense with most reading 'Aldershot'.

He should already be in the In From The Cold Project pipeline, as I couldn't find him either when going through a GRO batch back in July.

He's listed in GRO War Deaths with reference 1916, I.15 217.

Maybe Terry can confirm whether his case has been submitted?

Adrian

EDIT: Aha, speak of the devil!

Bloody dangerous place Aldershot - I can testify to that

If he was KIA with 2nd East Lancs he would likely be on Theipval so does anyone have a pic of Pier and face 6? If he was with the Lanc fusiliers( 10th Btn?) Face 3C and D are possibles. So anyone photographed these?

Ah so its possible hes a fully non comm, rather than simply missed out of the CWGC online records?. If thats the case why does SDGW have him? I thought (waiting to be shot down in flames), that SDGW was based on the CWGC details.

I thought, as he was on Soldiers died he was simply missed out of the CWGC online records? I thought (waiting to be shot down in flames), that SDGW was in the main based on the CWGC details.

Thank you Terry, do you have any idea how the regiments compiled their lists as sometimes there is some variance between the details on the soldiers attestation papers in the service files and MICs compared with that published on the soldiers died database. In particuler did the regiments obtain extra information from the next of kin . gareth

Gareth

I don't have a specific idea but I suspect each unit did it in its own way using their own records. I doubt that they contacted NoK.

CWGC did try to contact all next of kin and they did obtain additional info which does not appear on SDGW - age, NoK details etc. The SDGW info looks like it comes from attestation papers.

• 3 months later...

To update thanks to the in from the cold team

MOORES, WALTER

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: East Lancashire Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 07/07/1916

Service No: 21162

N.B.: This casualty has recently been accepted for commemoration by the Commission. However, it will not be possible to add his name to this Memorial immediately. Please contact the Commission before planning a visit, for more information.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Addenda Panel

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

.....using Geoffs (soon to die) search engine

Please explain the "soon to die"

:mellow:

Andy

"soon to die " reference was to changes made to the CWGC website which made the links of all websites inoperable. After a howling response from most researches the changes were cancelled until further notice.