Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt G R Clow, 9th Black Watch

keithm

2nd Lt G R Clow, 9th Black Watch

While researching the sister-in-law’s genealogy we found a family memorial in the churchyard at Abernethy, Perthshire. Amongst the family names there is:-

GEORGE ROBERT CLOW, 2ND LIEUT. 9TH BLACK WATCH

BORN 13TH OCTR 1888 KILLED IN ACTION IN FRANCE

17TH MARCH 1916

2nd Lt G R Clow is also named on CWGC.

I have seen there are a few experts on the 9th Battalion, Black Watch and am hoping someone can throw a little light on what they were doing on the 17th March 1916. Does anyone have access to the 9th Black Watch war diary for this day and perhaps his medal card?

And From "A History of The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) in the Great War" by Major General A.G.Wauchope C.B.

"The next tour, this time in the Hulluch sector, lasted from the 9th to 17th March, when the battalion moved back to Philosphe, where Lieutenant R.B.A.MacDonald and second Lieutenant H.M. Drummond reported for duty. Like the last, the period was uneventful except for the last day when the enemy shelled the Battalion line heavily; two officers, Second Lieutenants Howard and Clow, and two other ranks were killed and 16 other ranks were wounded"

regards

Ian

Ian,

Thanks very much, interesting to see he was in France as a Sapper before being commisioned, that is news for the family.

Now, anyone know where Philosphe might be?

I made a "Typo" there. It is actually Philosophe. At this time the Battalion were heavily engaged around the Hullach sector to the north of Loos. This included movemement around places like Mazingrabe, Nouex-les-mines and service in the front line between Vendin Alley and Devon lane and a period in the line at the"Hairpin" opposite Hulluch. I expect that Philosophe was in this area. The divisional line at this time ran from the Loos-St Laurent road to Devon Lane, just north of the Vermelles-Hulluch road.

regards

Ian

Thanks again Ian, and in particular for the link to the previous Black Watch item, the best series of photos I have seen for showing army life in 1914.