Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Camerons in Salonika

Mr Grinch

Hi,

Im trying to find out if the 2nd Battalion Cameron Highlanders saw any action during their stay in Salonika. In particular a man im researching Jack Frederick Hicks who arrived there on the 3rd February 1917 and left finally with Malaria on the 7th December 1918. He was interesting as he served in the Middlesex Regiment as a Territorial then was discharged time spent in early 1916. Some months later he re-joined into the Camerons which i thought strange as he gave his place of birth a Aberdeen when i know for a fact he was born in London and had no Scottish connections.

Any help much appreciated on this Battalion.

Regards

James

James

This from the Long Long Trail:

http://www.1914-1918.net/salonika.htm

The Unit War Diary ref at the National Archives is WO95/4893 and covers Nov 1915 to May 1919. This will give the specifics you seek.

Sotonmate

James

This from the Long Long Trail:

http://www.1914-1918.net/salonika.htm

The Unit War Diary ref at the National Archives is WO95/4893 and covers Nov 1915 to May 1919. This will give the specifics you seek.

Sotonmate

Thanks for your help. Not after specifics really more of a general question regarding whether they saw action. My man seems to have spent a lot of time in hospital, so may of missed things.

Regards

James

James your man Hicks was in a very unhealthy area. From the Narrative of the 2nd Bn Cameron Highlanders. In addition to malaria, sand-fly fever, dysentry and other eastern diseases (As they called them) were rife. There was an example of a unit in another Division was reduced by malaria to 24 officers and men, and another unit to a strength of 45... The approximate number of admissions to hospital in the British Salonika Force for malaria alone was. In 1916. 30,000. In 1917. 70,000. And in 1918 (In a much depleted army) 60,000. It is calculated in the official, Medical History of the War, from which these figures are taken that 83% of the B.S.F became infected with malaria.

If you would like any other information from the the narrative/diary PM me with your email addy and I will scan it and send it to you.

Aye Rob.

James your man Hicks was in a very unhealthy area. From the Narrative of the 2nd Bn Cameron Highlanders. In addition to malaria, sand-fly fever, dysentry and other eastern diseases (As they called them) were rife. There was an example of a unit in another Division was reduced by malaria to 24 officers and men, and another unit to a strength of 45... The approximate number of admissions to hospital in the British Salonika Force for malaria alone was. In 1916. 30,000. In 1917. 70,000. And in 1918 (In a much depleted army) 60,000. It is calculated in the official, Medical History of the War, from which these figures are taken that 83% of the B.S.F became infected with malaria.

If you would like any other information from the the narrative/diary PM me with your email addy and I will scan it and send it to you.

Aye Rob.

Thanks Rob.

The chap seems to be in hospital a lot over the period.

He was fit for these periods:

17th Feb 1917 - 1st May 1917

8th May 1917 - 31st Aug 1917

10th Dec 1917- 18th June 1918

29th Aug 1918 - 13th Oct 1918

I understand hostilities ceased on the 30th September. Is there any way of knowing if the Battalion was involved in any action over these periods ? Ive read that 1917 was fairly quiet.

Regards

James

Thanks Rob.

The chap seems to be in hospital a lot over the period.

He was fit for these periods:

17th Feb 1917 - 1st May 1917

8th May 1917 - 31st Aug 1917

10th Dec 1917- 18th June 1918

29th Aug 1918 - 13th Oct 1918

I understand hostilities ceased on the 30th September. Is there any way of knowing if the Battalion was involved in any action over these periods ? Ive read that 1917 was fairly quiet.

February 17th 1917.. Found the Bn back at Wessex Bridge,and a week later, having completed the full cycle of of Brigade defenses. it was once more at Homondos, with two Companies in the trenches defending the Village itself, one Company in the redoubts to wards Osman Kamila, and one in reserve.

This tour of duty was marked by a feint attack against Kavakli by "B" and "D" Companies and a Company of Royal Scots, when the commander of the force. A Major R.N. Stewart, MC., was wounded (The only casualty) A raid by the whole Bn, less "D" company, was carried out on the 16th March. Owing to the darkness of the night and the marshy conditions it was impossible to see the tracks, the force missed its intended route and encountered the the enemy unexpectedly.

The alarm being given there was no further chance of achieving the objective of the raid, so after some fighting at close quarters, in which a number of casualties were incurred on both sides, the force withdrew to Homondos.

During these three weeks the enemy's artillery was abnormally active and the Bn a larger number of casualties than usual.

24th March 1917. Took over Kristian Kamila defenses from the Scottish Horse.

This is all I can find for February/May 1917... I will get back to you regarding other dates. I may not have been as quiet as originally thought ;) .

Aye Rob.