Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British War Medal

rksimpson

Hi everyone

Can anyone help me with this

I have a BWM for Gunner T. H. Kimber R.A. and the number on the rim looks like 34618 or 3/4618

DOing a search on National Archives does not bring up anything on this but when I tried different things I came up with a Thomas H Kimber Gunner R.G.A. 34613 then Labour Corps 335692 Private.

Out of interest I also came across and Edward J Kimber Hampshire Reg 3/4619 ! Private and also LAbour Corps Sergeant 99010

Can someone look up MIC's and post please and also comfirm if I am on the right track

thanks

Robert

:huh:

34613 looks right to me.

Thomas H. Kimber. if you want the MIC let me know its on Ancestry.

Chris

Hi David

thanks for quick reply

could you also do Edward

do you think they were brothers?

thanks again

Robert

Hi David

thanks for quick reply

could you also do Edward

do you think they were brothers?

thanks again

Robert

Robert,

Here is the other image you requested. Thomas H Kimber was born abt 1896 according to the 1901 census, at a town called Bitterley in Shropshire.

I havent been able to tie up Edward J Kimber, the only one I have noted so far was one borh in 1900 which is a bit too late at he joined up approx 1914.

:post-36459-1254130848.jpg

Robert,

Two other possible candidates in the 1901 census

1. Edward J Kimber b 1887 at Harvall Newsington Oxfordshire

2. Edward J Kimber b 1893 at Stockport Lancashire.

It would appear that niether of these two candidates are related to Thomas H Kimber as their parents are not the same.

David

Hi David

thanks for the MIC and looking at that

I just thought it interesting that their service numbers were so close and they both ended up in the Labour Corps so thought there may be some family connection. Still may be but distant?

With Thomas's medal it has 3/4618, so is it a mistake and should the MIC read 3/4613? as Edwards does?

Does the Dis 3/1-19 on his MIC mean he was Discharged then?

Does the extra writing on Edward's MIC say it is recorded on the Medal Rolls of his transfer to the L.C?

Thanks for your time and appreciate the extra work you have done

regards

Robert

Robert,

Edward John Kimber's service docos are on line at Ancestry, it appears that he was born in 1975 had previous service prior being called up as a special reservist

in Aug 1914. On Apr 24, 1915 he was wounded in the thigh and then considered to be fit only for light duties and was transferred to the labour corps.

He was discharged 3/1/19 and given a pension of 6/6m pence a week. His service number was 3/4619, this I think indicates that he was a special reservist (please correct

me if I am wrong).

There is no service record for Thomas Kimber at Ancestry - not unusual as a good many were destroyed in 1940 during the bombing of London. His MIC states 34613 - note

there is no slash, and I think the similarity of both numbers was probably coincidental.

David

Hi David

Thanks for your reply and work on this

On re-looking at the medal there is a gap between 3 & 4 and what I thought was a / may be just a dint as it is pretty battered.

Pity as it would have been an interesting story

regards

Robert

I notice a bit of finger trouble in my past post. It should be 1875 not 1975 as sent. Apparently after a day or so you cant do a quick edit.

David

Hi David

saw that too and presumed like me you have a bit of dyslexia from time to time

no problem

thanks again

Robert