Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

bell ringers

veklee

Alan has posted about this project on here, but this is the first time I've seen it. What a fine job he's done. Thanks for posting it, Barry.

I note he's linked to the CWGC site "with permission" ! :devilgrin:

• 10 months later...

Somehow missed this when it was first added. I've been working with Alan to try and chase down the last few (well 50 or so) men that he hasn't been able to link to a CWGC entry. Two non-comms now added to CWGC as a result; one more confirmed, but not yet added ot the online register; one still awaiting a decision; and two men known not qualify under the CWGC rules.

The unidentified men don't have a link on the list pages, or there's a working page at Your Archives:Central Council for Church Bellringers' Roll of Honour Project which collates some of the clues and pointers we've got on these chaps so far. Any help greatly appreciated.

Many local ringing assocations and individual towers also have their own memorials. I've just got hold of pictures of the Surrey County Associaiton Roll of Honur today. This lists all those who served, not just those killed, with rank and unit, and for those who survived also states who was wounded, it also includes home-based units such as the Royal Defence Corps.

David

C H Gibbons was more than likely Charles Henry Gibbons who lived in White House,Upton Bishop with his family at the time of the 1911 census. His father George was an Engine driver on a farm in the area. It is also likely that Charles Gibbons would have been the same as the Charles H. Gibbons listed as Private 1351 and 235225 with the Herefordshire Regiment which had very close links with the KSLI. I am unable to find Pte Gibbons listed as a casualty.

Myrtle

David

Your list of the unidentified has F R Mayne (kia 07.07.16) as one of three possiblities for R Mayne. Frederick Robert Mayne has a connection with Marshfield.

Western Mail 14.08.16: Eldest son of Mr and Mrs R. Mayne, 23 Hirwain Street, Cathays, Cardiff. 26 years.

South Wales Daily News 12.08.16: Husband of Daisy Mayne, 23 Adamsdown Square, Adamsdown, Cardiff. 27 years.

South Wales Daily News 15.08.16: Worked for Sir Henry Webb, Marshfield, as a gardener. Member of Cardiff Gardeners Association and St. Monica's Church, Cathays. Photograph.

De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour: 16th Bn. Welsh Regiment (Cardiff City). Eldest son of Robert Mayne, gardener. Born 17.05.1890. Was a gardener. Enlisted in 1915. Kia Mametz Wood 07.07.16. Married Daisy Williams at All Saints Parish Church, Cardiff 03.10.15.

I assume you have his details from SDGW and CWGC.

The City Battalion was raised in Cardiff between November 1914 and January 1915 and his regimental number confirms that he would probably enlisted in the battalion in this period. He was killed in the 38th (Welsh) Division's opening attack on the Hammerhead at Mametz Wood.

The list also suggests PW Baker (Peterston-Super-Ely) as a possibility for J Baker of Marshfield. There is a Peterston-Wentlooge very near Marshfield to the east of Cardiff, however, Peterston-Super-Ely is to the west of Cardiff.

Gwyn

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll follow them up shortly - once I've made a bit more progress with the Surrey roll.