Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Notts and Derby medals

john gregory

I was the losing bidder on a pair of Notts and Derby medals, the soldier was kia, my losing bid was £100. I sent an email to the seller and I managed to get in touch with the winning bidder to tell him that I had the chap's photo and all his details. He replied back saying that he had no real interest in the medals and would be prepared to swop for a pair of QMAAC worker medals, who are they ? Why bid when you have no real interest in the medals.

Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps,1918 to 1920,prior to this Women's Army Auxiliary Corps,1917-1918.

Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps,1918 to 1920,prior to this Women's Army Auxiliary Corps,1917-1918.

Thanks

Current price of a QMAAc pair £150-200!

I don't know where you got this figure from but I would say that it is far too high. About a month ago I saw a pair on eBay go for over a hundred pounds and could not for the life of me understand why but assumed that it happened to be two keen bidders. There is nothing special about QMAAC medals. They are not particularly scarce and the recipients were non-combatants. To put things in context I bought a female French Red Cross casualty pair last month for £200. So unless a moneyed newcomer has come to the marketplace with a particular interest in the QMAAC and is buying everything in sight then let's not talk up the price.

What Battalion was he? Over £100 for a pair.

Wonder what a plaque and 1915 star would get for a bloke killed on Gallipoli :rolleyes:

SM

Hi Steve, I wanted them because he is in my book and I have his photo, all his details and a newspaper article about him. He is 2159 later 200385 corporal Wilfred Hunt, 5th Battn, kia 3.10.18. JG

What Battalion was he? Over £100 for a pair.

Wonder what a plaque and 1915 star would get for a bloke killed on Gallipoli :rolleyes:

SM

SM,

What price for a QSA/KSA/1915 TRIO/LSGC to the 9th Battalion kia 9th August 1915 to a Regimental Band Sergeant. Also Trio and plaque (two brothers). :o BRONNO.

Sorry to hear that John, This type of attitude seems to be a growing trend. Lots of people buying up medals with no real interest. Seems like there is quite a few people out there who just dont give a Monkeys about these Soldiers memories. Such a shame. Just bid higher next time ;) Ill happily pay slightly more to my regiment of interest to know the medals are coming to a home where they will be appreciated.

James

Steve,

Is this the same 14-15 star and plaque we had a ''chat'' about some time ago?? ;)

Hi Steve, I wanted them because he is in my book and I have his photo, all his details and a newspaper article about him. He is 2159 later 200385 corporal Wilfred Hunt, 5th Battn, kia 3.10.18. JG

Why do they buy medals in which they have no interest?

Alot of these buyers have their eyes firmly fixed on the 2014-2018 period, when the antiquity value of these medals will increase, supposedly.

It happened with Boer war medals at the 100 year anniversary. Prices went up.

I have been in contact with one or two buyers who had the same attitude. One, a buyer of unique memorial plaques, was a very nice chap from the U.S.A., he had bought the unique plaque a few weeks earlier to a man whose medals I bought. I looked at the feedback and saw what had happened, contacted him to see if I could prise it from his hands.

Anyway, I had to have it, I swapped two other medaless unique plaques for this one particular item. His interest in the plaques was only in the UNIQUE nature of them and all I could think of was, 'There are going to be alot of people looking for those individual items'. He buys two or so a week, so he will be making a massive hole in the 're-unites' figures.

Sometimes if you want something badly enough, unfortunately, you may have to go over the odds to get it.

I was sad to let two nice plaques with unique and unmistakable names go, but I then had kept a pair of casualty 1915 trio/plaque groups together. I also bought the soldiers brother casualty complete set. In my mind it was worth it.

Dick

Jim, the QMAAcs have gone mad I sold a single for £90 and a pair for £180 a few months ago. Dont know why but they are still hot.

I think TV coverage may have something to do with this. Show a subject on TV and invariably interest is generated. I have noted one or two showings of related programmes.

There were a few programmes on the nurses of WW1, with quite a few mentions.

'The Last Voices of WW1' had an episode with the nurses and home front quite well detailed. Then there was a 'Who Do You think You Are' episode, or similar programme, with a pair of nurses at the front riding around on a motorcycle. Maybe it was one of the 'Not Forgotten' programmes. Then the programme on the girls working in an explosives factory.

I think these programmes may have created an extra interest. They all seem to have been shown since June.

Dick

Steve,

Is this the same 14-15 star and plaque we had a ''chat'' about some time ago?? ;)

Don't worry I ain't selling them :rolleyes: but may need to insure the stuff I have at this rate.

John

Sad that they could have gone to a good home and this person has no interest in them.

Steve