Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

call up v join up & the derby scheme in 1916,1917.

hamishmck

can anybody help with this query please.

In summer 1916, could an 18yr old single man volunteer or did he have wait his turn under the derby scheme to be called up?

In 1917 was it the same as 1916 bearing in mind that the 18yr old is now 19 yrs old.

The reason i ask is this.

My family had 2 cousins (brothers, killed in may and june 1915) my grandfather joined in 1914 and had been wounded already by 1916 but his younger brother left school in 1916 and went into employment rather than enlist. His widowed mother was a dominating type and i wonder if she forbade him from joining thinking that my family had already contributed enough.

i realise i will probably never know the truth but any help will be useful.

thanks again.

Not an easy one, I am afraid. In summer 1916, the Derby Scheme had ended and he would have been conscripted under the Military Service Act UNLESS he had already attested under the Scheme and was mobilised with his Group during the year OR he satisfied one of the exemption criteria under the Act. The only way to be certain is to see his service record.

Not an easy one, I am afraid. In summer 1916, the Derby Scheme had ended and he would have been conscripted under the Military Service Act UNLESS he had already attested under the Scheme and was mobilised with his Group during the year OR he satisfied one of the exemption criteria under the Act. The only way to be certain is to see his service record.

thanks chris, how would his service record help?

It would confirm his date of enlistment and mobilisation, and depending on the forms used and the contents, would confirm the regulations under which he was enlisted.

It would confirm his date of enlistment and mobilisation, and depending on the forms used and the contents, would confirm the regulations under which he was enlisted.

hi Chris i have attached what i think will help. i do need some of the details translating though if you can help please.

cheers Hamish Mck.post-48194-1253791420.jpg

Hi Hamish,

You have attached his medal index card which in itself won't provide the answers to your questions. However, you have been keeping the most important information to yourself! Now that we know who he is and that he was an officer, it will all be much more straightforward for you. His service file is held at the National Archives, reference WO 339/113954. You can order it online (not sure of cost), visit Kew yourself and make a copy, or pay a researcher to copy it.

Best wishes,

Stuart

edited once: inserted first sentence to better explain the difference between MIC and service file

Hi Hamish,

You have attached his medal index card which in itself won't provide the answers to your questions. However, you have been keeping the most important information to yourself! Now that we know who he is and that he was an officer, it will all be much more straightforward for you. His service file is held at the National Archives, reference WO 339/113954. You can order it online (not sure of cost), visit Kew yourself and make a copy, or pay a researcher to copy it.

Best wishes,

Stuart

edited once: inserted first sentence to better explain the difference between MIC and service file

Thanks for this, the cost is £8.50 and i have ordered it from Kew.

cant wait for it to arrive.

cheers