Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New CWGC Commemoration

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following 'new' WW1 casualty to its Debt of Honour database on Tuesday 22nd September

Pte Walter Maurice SIVIER

2393 1st Bn, Hampshire Regiment

Died 17.04.16 Age 26

Buried: Andover Cemetery, Hants, UK

NOT FORGOTTEN

May He Rest In Peace

As there are NOK details on CWGC I think a member of the family put him forward

Well done to forum member "MrFish" who put forward Walter Sivier for commemoration. See thread HERE. A very good result.

Marc

Well done to forum member "MrFish" who put forward Walter Sivier for commemoration. See thread HERE. A very good result.

Marc

Thanks, Marc

You all knew before I did! My letter from the Commission arrived today, with a copy of the entry from the Debt of Honour Register.

They have said they will notify me once the headstone is erected, however, I wonder what the usual drill is with this kind of thing. Shouldn't someone be there? I wonder if some sort of unveiling would be appropriate, with attendance by the local Royal British Legion and local press?

What do Pals think? I've emailed the Commission back to see what they would normally do.

mrfish

<*)))))><

Normally, nobody is present as the date is often unknown. The area team will erect the stone within a time schedule depending on other activities on their patch. Circumstances such as a change in the weather can vary the day or the order in which they erect the stone. There may be others in the area to be completed at the same time.

It is usually better to arrange a service etc a day or two after the actual placing of the stone when the site looks a bit tidier.

However, if you are deperate to be there 'on the day' I am sure the Regional Supervisor will try to accomodate you. It may be a year or eighteen months before the stone is ready - possibly even longer.

Two years ago a headstone was due to be erected in Weston Turville Churchyard, Bucks and I particularly asked if CWGC would let me know when this would be - even if it was at short notice. I had wanted some of the children from the local school to be there, as their school Houses are named after some of the casualties on the War Memorial. However, the headstone had been erected some months before I discovered it. It was very disappointing, but the choice of position for the headstone was very good. I had hoped it might be near the other WW1 headstones but it was placed near a path that is used by walkers and I have seen quite a few people looking at it. The wording is that H L Kempster is "buried elsewhere in this churchyard"

June

Thanks for the info Terry. I've emailed the Commission and the lady I'm dealing with has said she will pass on my request to the UK Area Office who will deal with the erection. It would be nice if it could be done near to 11 November, when interest in such things will be at its peak.

I wasn't aware of your project when I started looking at Walter, I wish I had, as you could have been of great help I think. It's great the work you are doing.

I don't know if you want to add walter to your list of In From the Cold names, but you are most welcome to if you wish.

mrfish

<*)))))><