Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Hampshire war diaries for the Dardanelles?

spiritofold

Looking through this forum there are many references to war diaries for the many conflicts.

How do i go about finding a copy of the diaries from the Gallipoli/Dardanelles campaign for the 2nd battalion of the Hampshire's???  As per my recent posts about Pte William John Eyles, 15888 of the 2nd battalion, i'd like to find out what happened when he was at war, assuming that he would be referenced in these diaries???

Regards,

Andy Eyles :)

Looking through this forum there are many references to war diaries for the many conflicts.

How do i go about finding a copy of the diaries from the Gallipoli/Dardanelles campaign for the 2nd battalion of the Hampshire's???  As per my recent posts about Pte William John Eyles, 15888 of the 2nd battalion, i'd like to find out what happened when he was at war, assuming that he would be referenced in these diaries???

Regards,

Andy Eyles :) 

Andy,

The National Archives have the following war diaries available in pdf format online for £3.50 each.

W095/4312

29 DIVISION: 88 INFANTRY BRIGADE: Headquarters 1915 Jan. - 1916 Feb. / 88 Infantry Brigade: 1 Battalion Essex Regiment 1915 Apr. - 1916 Feb. / 88 Infantry Brigade: 2 Battalion Hampshire Regiment 1915 May - 1916 Jan. / 88 Infantry Brigade: 1/5 Battalion The Royal Scots 1914 July - 1916 Feb. / 88 Infantry Brigade: 4 Battalion Worcestershire Regiment 1915 Apr. - 1916 Feb. / 1/1 London Infantry Brigade: 2/1 Battalion London Regiment 1915 Sept. - Dec. / 1/1 London Infantry Brigade: Newfoundland Battalion 1915 Aug. - 1916 Feb.

and

WO95/2308

29 DIVISION, 88 INFANTRY BRIGADE: 1 Battalion Newfoundland Regiment 1916 Mar. - 1918 Aug./ 2 Battalion Leinster Regiment 1918 Feb. - 1919 June / 2 Battalion Hampshire Regiment 1916 Mar. - 1919 Feb.

HTH,

Ian.

Andy,

The National Archives have the following war diaries available in pdf format online for £3.50 each.

W095/4312

29 DIVISION: 88 INFANTRY BRIGADE: Headquarters 1915 Jan. - 1916 Feb. / 88 Infantry Brigade: 1 Battalion Essex Regiment 1915 Apr. - 1916 Feb. / 88 Infantry Brigade: 2 Battalion Hampshire Regiment 1915 May - 1916 Jan. / 88 Infantry Brigade: 1/5 Battalion The Royal Scots 1914 July - 1916 Feb. / 88 Infantry Brigade: 4 Battalion Worcestershire Regiment 1915 Apr. - 1916 Feb. / 1/1 London Infantry Brigade: 2/1 Battalion London Regiment 1915 Sept. - Dec. / 1/1 London Infantry Brigade: Newfoundland Battalion 1915 Aug. - 1916 Feb.

and

WO95/2308

29 DIVISION, 88 INFANTRY BRIGADE: 1 Battalion Newfoundland Regiment 1916 Mar. - 1918 Aug./ 2 Battalion Leinster Regiment 1918 Feb. - 1919 June / 2 Battalion Hampshire Regiment 1916 Mar. - 1919 Feb.

HTH,

Ian.

Sorry to be a pain, but do you have a link to where these docs can be bought? 

Going on their website and searching the catalogue numbers comes back with a search result saying theres no matches...

Andy,

Just checked the casualty details and I note that Pte Eyles WJ 15888 died 20 October 1918 is listed as from the 3rd Bn Hampshire Reg't. Do you know if he transferred from the 2nd or is the CWGC entry a typo perhaps?

HTH,

Ian.

Sorry to be a pain, but do you have a link to where these docs can be bought? 

Going on their website and searching the catalogue numbers comes back with a search result saying theres no matches...

Andy,

The advice the Chris Baker gave is exactly the way I found the link and the Link is attached below as requested, the NA search engine is not IMHO, to put it mildy, intuitive or easy to use:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...rst%5Fdate+desc

Good luck,

Ian.

Andy,

Just checked the casualty details and I note that Pte Eyles WJ 15888 died 20 October 1918 is listed as from the 3rd Bn Hampshire Reg't. Do you know if he transferred from the 2nd or is the CWGC entry a typo perhaps?

HTH,

Ian.

I've seen that as well!!

The only thing i can think is that as the 3rd batallion are listed as reserves in Winchester, then i presume that after he came back home he was tranfered to this batallion???????  Someone else who with more experience might be able to explain?

Other than that, it might be a typo...

Regards,

Andy :)

It would be quite normal practice for a man who, for whatever reason, had been struck off the strength of 2nd Battalion and gone home, to be posted to 3rd (Reserve) Battalion. If he went to hospital in between he would have been posted from 2nd Bn > Depot > 3rd (Res) Bn.

Hi Andy,

Do bear in mind that William Eyles was only at Cape Helles for a matter of 10 days or so (28th July to 6th August) before he was evacuated to a hospital ship with gun shot wounds to the back and spine.

I have e-mailed you through an account of the attack by 2/Hants on 6 August as recorded in the regimental history.

Regards

Marc

Hi Andy,

Do bear in mind that William Eyles was only at Cape Helles for a matter of 10 days or so (28th July to 6th August) before he was evacuated to a hospital ship with gun shot wounds to the back and spine.

I have e-mailed you through an account of the attack by 2/Hants on 6 August as recorded in the regimental history.

Regards

Marc

Thanks for the info ;)

Im really pleased with all the info people have unearthed for me, and really humbled by the accounts of all the soldiers from the great war. 

Cheers for taking the time for me :)

Andy Eyles ;)