Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

uniform queery

jkennedy

Hello,this is a picture of my grandfather,Edward William Kennedy 1/18/London Irish Rifles could someone tell me about his uniform especially why he would be wearing boots with spurs in an infantry regiment.Thanks for your help.post-37480-1253455301.jpg

jk

I took a look at his Medal index Card to see if there was anything else to know about which Regiment(s) he served in,which might explain the boots and spurs.It merely states what you have said,18 London R (Royal Irish Rifles).with additional info- 1/18 45950 Private.

I wonder if he had a messenger function within the Battalion. The badge certainly IDs to the London Irish.

Sotonmate

Do you have any idea of the date of the photo. He appears to have a good conduct chevron so that might help if you knew his enlistment date. The overseas chevrons on the right arm would presumably make it 1917 or later?

He would be with the battalion transport so as Max says, QM's wagons, water cart, ammunition cart/limber, Maltese cart for the MO etc., or pack ponies/mules.

Not necessarily: he might have had the love of horses before, and been put into Transport because he knew which end was which.