Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

uniform

sabine72

hello,

the husband bought an essex uniform and now he would like to find out what medals this man had.

hope some one can help him.

kind regards

sabine

nicer image of the ribbons

nicer image of the ribbons

post-13594-1253442816.jpg

post-13594-1253442919.jpg

post-13594-1253442966.jpg

Possibly (from left): DCM, Queen's South Africa, King's South Africa, 14 (or 14-15) Star?

I agree with Stephen the medals being The Distinguished Conduct Medal, Queens and Kings South Africa medals and the 1914 or possible 14/15 Star.

Rob

steven and rob,

thank you so he was in the boerwar then?

first and last are ww1

does any one have pictures of the medals?

the husband wants to buy then too.

kind regards

sabine

From the fixing there was at least 2 possibly 3 more medals below that row. so BWM and Victory and ? +1 other

The star ribbon is round the wrong way should be red white blue - which given his service suprises me. So possibly a made up bar.

What does the fixing look like - I'm not convinced.

Mick

Mick,

what do you mean by fixing?

Gary,

thank you for the pictures.

would it mean he got the dcm during the boer war?

we were wondering where his other ribbons are, he only had the 1914 what about the rest, he also had a wounded stripe

maybe he didn't go back after he got wounded?

kind regards

sabine

How is the medal bar fixed to the tunic?

is it stitched or is it a pin? the one below looks like it would have been tacked with a couple of stitches, which would have been the correct method.

would it mean he got the DCM during the boer war?

...Not necessarily so,he may well have earned the DCM in the Great War & been commissioned afterwards[or as a result of his DCM]

He would have only worn the Star on its own initially as the BWM & Victory would have come along later.

The Brooch bar is unusual as "normally" they would most probably have been sewn directly to the tunic above the Breast Pocket.

It could have been the Boer war and it would have been easier to narrow down because there were only 13 DCM's awarded to the Essex regt during that conflict.

Mick

the ribbons are stitched on a pin, all the same stitching, yellow green color, looks old

kind regards

sabine

True enough

this is the medal setup unless there was another afre the Victory

Mick

so you think it is genuine exept for the mixup with the Mons star

Pat

Don't know.

What I am saying is that there should be 2 rows of medals but it would be very easy to add medal ribbons to enhance the uniform. I think that if he served post-war I would be surprised that the star ribbon would be back to front - certainly at that time medals meant a lot, they were the story of a mans career and they would have been looked at by everyone including his CO and RSM.

mick

I find it surprising that the Star ribbon is the one showing the most wear, unless it snagged on something.

Couldnt the medals have been pinned to the tunic. The 4 medal bar I have has a swivel pin about 3 inches long, pinning the lot to the tunic

David

That is the same pin I have and the jacket is dated 1918

Kind regards

Pat

Yes but the pin should go though sewn loops, not directly through the material of the jacket.

Mick

Thank you for the information and i think i will get the pin of the uniform so it will be more correct.

I've just wanted the jacket

Kind regards

Pat

Where I'm concerned is that British Army officers never wear pin on medal bars on service dress - except perhaps tropical dress (and this isn't). Ribbons are stitched around a stiffener and then sewn directly to the uniform. Often loops are stitched above these to allow the wearing of the full size medals.

And Army practice is to have least on top, most on bottom. Maximum of five ribbons in a row, so in this case it should be (with the full group) DCM centre, top row, alone. QSA, KSA, Trio on bottom row. (one over four, NEVER three over two) Prior to the BWM/VM, yes, a straight row of 4. But they should be sewn directly.

Mick,

I cant argue with you either way on that point, the bar that I have is just a bar and long pin which could have been attached in more than one way and I am

quite happy to accept that it could have been through loops. Cheers

David