Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal information please

Yvorbiggun

An ancestor of mine Sidney Douglas Kent served with the Royal Field artillery, Service number 46419. He appears to have 2 medal index cards both showing his service number correctly.

On one it notes that he was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal. This card reads Date of Gazette...Peace Gazette, Reference paper...0137/5653

The other (The more normal card) shows a 2nd service number (1021442) as well and shows that he was awarded The British Medal and below there is this:

#IND.GS.AFGN.NWFF.1919.(rOLL 16687-56) IV 308.D 28.7.22

Can anyone please advise me what the Meritorious Service medal was and what it might have been awarded for.

Also sdoes anyone know what the detail #.IND ect might stand for.

Thanks in anticipation.

Yvor

To get you going, IND.GS must be the Indian General Service Medal,, which would carry bars for various campaigns, in this case 'Afghanistan N[orth] W[est] F[rontier] 1919-21', but there are others. The extra symbols refer to the medal rolls, available only at the National Archives at Kew and not online.

The MSM is a little more complex which I will leave to the experts, but is basically for good or exceptional conduct over a long period, or as cynics would say, undetected crime!

7010 SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON*GAZETTE, 3 JUNE, 1019.

His Majesty the KING- has 'been graciously

pleased to approve of the award of the Meritorious

Service Medal to the undermentioned

Warrant Officers, Non-Commissioned Officers

and Men in recognition of valuable services-rendered

in connection with the War: —

46419 Bomdr.- Kent, S. D., 77th By. (Lichfield).

(INDIA)'

The MSM is a little more complex which I will leave to the experts, but is basically for good or exceptional conduct over a long period, or as cynics would say, undetected crime!

The MSM for the most part in WW1 was an immediate award for valuable service/devotion to duty etc;often in non frontline activities,eg QMS,Mechanics,Fitters,Clerks Cooks,& other non fighting personnel {& "gallantry in the performance of military duty";ie;Not in the face of the enemy,to a lesser extent only around 500 + awarded in this catergory}rather than the prewar,few wartime, & post war MSM with or without gratuity awarded when there was a space in the ranks for a long serving NCO.The LSGC Medal was more for the 18/24 years of undetected crime!!!

The Warrant for the MSM runs into several pages when all the changes are taken into consideration.