Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nicholson War Memorial Leek Staffordshire

Guest rob povey

Always one of my favourite war memorials. I have been visiting family in Leek since I was a kid and was always mighty impressed with the structure. I was last in Leek a couple of years ago and had a good look around the memorial. I look forward to reading more about it. Well done on the website Rob!

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the forum

I saw this in the Leek Post the other week but have only just had a look at the website - looks great

Was lucky enough to have a tour of the inside a couple of years ago when the Este visitors were over. Its something I'd always wanted to see.

Will give you a shout soon

Liam

One of my men 9031 CSM David Pickford DCM, died of wounds , at home on 23 October 1916. He was probably wounded on 26th Sept 1916. Walter Milward mentioned him when the SNCO's families met at Belton, Grantham in 1914. Both men were Sgt's at the time and Walter was also killed - 1915.

David received his DCM for actions on Gallipoli and it was gazetted on 3rd June 1916. Walter and David had the job of getting the volunteers into shape.

He is buried at Leek.

Of course , you may already have all of the above.

The website looks very good.

By the way - Welcome.

Steve M

• 3 years later...

Excellent website and a lot of hard work has gone into the restoration of the memorial.

Will have to find an excuse to visit

David