Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers War Diary

ianmccallum

HI Guys

Anyone got the 6th Inniskillings War Diary covering September / October 1918. Researching a fusilier who DOW on 3 October 1918. According to the Regimental History the battalion was not involved in any action until 6 October 1918. However "Soldier's Died" has 50 dead between 2-5 October. Hoping the war diary will shed some light.

Cheer

Ian

• 3 years later...

Coming to this about 3 years too late, but I have a copy of the single page that relates to the 6th Inniskillings on 3rd October 1918. I've also transcribed "Appendix A" - 4 page order of battle from the diary. The battalion was definitely in action at Prospect Hill, Gouy.

I'm not sure of the rules on posting National Archive records, but I have transcribed the Appendix and could post it here:

a. If it's allowed, and

b. If there's any interest.

Alternatively PM me and I'll send a copy.

The document only gives details of Officers who were killed on this date. 4 Officers - two of whom were A/Adjutant Lieutenant Baillie and 2/LieutenantQuaile.

Other Ranks killed 30

Other Ranks wounded 186

Other Ranks missing 19

Cheers,

Jeff

Coming to this about 3 years too late, but I have a copy of the single page that relates to the 6th Inniskillings on 3rd October 1918. I've also transcribed "Appendix A" - 4 page order of battle from the diary. The battalion was definitely in action at Prospect Hill, Gouy.

I'm not sure of the rules on posting National Archive records, but I have transcribed the Appendix and could post it here:

a. If it's allowed, and

b. If there's any interest.

Alternatively PM me and I'll send a copy.

The document only gives details of Officers who were killed on this date. 4 Officers - two of whom were A/Adjutant Lieutenant Baillie and 2/LieutenantQuaile.

Other Ranks killed 30

Other Ranks wounded 186

Other Ranks missing 19

Cheers,

Jeff

Jeff, i would be most interested if you could post the transcribed info.

Thank you in advanced.

Walter

I've left in typos and noted where there are hand-written alterations. Generally tried to keep it authentic.

Page 1.

APPENDIX “A” (Handwritten)

6TH ROYAL INNISKILLING FUSRS

REPORT on Operation of 3rd October 1918

At Zero on the morning of 3rd October the 6th R. Inniskilling Fusiliers were in position as follows:-

B and D. Companies in position about 300x S.W. of Railway running through A.24.B and A.18.C. A.17.B.

The Boundary between Companies being a line drawn N.E. through C. in GRANDCOURT. B. Company was on the Right and D. Company on the left.

C.Coy. was in Support

} in Sunken Road at A.16 (Handwritten)

A.Coy. in Reserve

The Orders for the attack were given verbally by A/Adjutant Lieut. Baillie at about 0530 hours and were as follows:-

The Battalion will attack Prospect Hill.

D.Coy. on Left. B.Coy. on Right.

C.Coy. in Support to mop up Grandcourt and

A.Coy. in Reserve.

The Battalion was to follow close up to Barrage at Zero hour (0605)hours).

B.Company was to advance with left flank moving through C. in GRANDCOURT , its Right Boundary on Prospect Hill being roughly the line of wire running N&S.

At Zero hour the Battalion advanced in Artillery Formation of Sections in close co-operation with the Australians on the Right.

On reaching A.13.a.62. B.Coy. with half D.Company, which had become detached, changed direction half left and advanced straight for PROSPECT HILL on a line straight under words PROSPECT HILL.

At 0800 hours the foot of Prospect Hill in B.1.D. was reached and a message sent back to K.O.Y.L.I. in rear asking for support. A verbal message was received from Major de Houghton that he would send support.

B.Coy. pushed on to a line running roughly along contour 145 and proceeded to cut wire and mop up an enemy M.G. emplacement at B.2. Central at the request of the Australians. At this time this Company had 30 casualties in 5 minutes from Gun and M.G. fire from BELLEVUE FARM and from M.G. in B.7.A.5.9. The latter was seen to be mopped up later.

Another message was sent to K.O.Y.L.I. in the left Rear and to Northumberland Fusiliers who were the next troops in Rear at B.7.D.3.2. for assistance and the Company started to dig in on a line on contour 130.

No support reached the Company and the Australians did not get beyond B.2.D.1.6. so the position was consolidated with posts on this line and supports just south of Road.

This line was held for 2 days with the Australians and after-wards with 9th Devons with their left posts at B.8.c.3.7.

There was a Platoon of Northumberland Fusiliers with which touch was obtained about B.1.c.8.8. No Australian Troop were West of the WIRE at any time.

On arrival at A.18.Central touch between the two portions of D.Coy. was lost and the Support and Reserve Companies moved on a line between Road junction at A.18.0.9.8. and A.12.c.5.2. changing direction to the line of woods running from A.12.c.5.2 to lake in A.12.d.

A Machine Gun nest was located at Building A.12.D.2.4. which gave trouble. There was a deep canal in front of it. Orders were given for a platoon to move round S. of Lake taking advantage of cover given by the trees and work round the flank.

The nest was engaged and a Tank arriving on the scene bridged the canal at A.12.D.4.4. and parties were pushed over and the nest dealt with.

The advance was continued on to Prospect Hill, various M.Gs, being dealt with on the way. The Machine Guns on upper slopes of Prospect Hill did not put up a good fight.

Page 2.

2. “A” (Handwritten)

The Battalion pushed forward over the crest of Prospect Hill and a hostile battery was seen in action on Northern slopes.

Fire was brought to bear on the Gunners, who retired in a N.E. direction over Prospect Hill and Battalion advanced to Guns, reaching Objective at 7.30.a.m.

Patrols were sent out to either flank to gain touch and as nothing could be seen of troops on either flank it was decided to consolidate and withdraw slightly from the advance position in which the Battalion was in.

Posts were put forward on N. slopes of the Hill with Supports under N. crest with a main line of resistance along line of upper road running through A.6.D. K.O.Y.L.I. were asked to send up one Company to fill up gap on our Right.

At 09.35 hours a message was sent to 151st Brigade giving dispositions, and informing them that one Company of K.O.Y.L.I. had been sent up to fill gap on our Right and were endeavouring to establish touch with troops on that flank.

At 10.22 a message was sent to O.C., K.O.Y.L.I. saying we were short of ammunition and asking if he could send any to us, and also to inform Brigade.

At about 11.30 a Runner from B.Company arrived bearing a message from O.C., B.Company, he had been to Northumberland Fusrs.

The message was as follows:

“If you are our Brigade can you come here, am left with only 70 Rifles”.

The Runner, when asked could not say where B.Company was, as he had lost direction entirely, he thought he could find Northumberland Fusrs. A message was sent to O.C. Northumberland Fusrs asking him to send 2 platoons to support B.Company and that the Runner would act as guide.

At the same time a message was sent to O.C. B.Company by same Runner telling him of steps taken, asking him if he was in touch with Australians and directing him if possible to come to Battalion Headquarters, and telling him that Companies of K.O.Y.L.I. had filled the gap between us.

This message never reached O.C. B.Company.

At 12.25 a message was sent to Brigade asking for information regarding troops on our left as no touch could be obtained and reporting considerable trouble from both flanks from Machine Guns.

12.55 asking K.O.Y.L.I. for Liaison Runners.

No touch had up to this time been gained with K.R.R. and accordingly the line was extended to the Left as far as the S.E. outskirts of GOUY.

At 13 p.m. a message was received from O.C., D.Company, 2/Lt. Kelly, in which he stated that the enemy was counter-attacking on our left. Passed information to K.O.Y.L.I. and asked them to try and get in touch with K.R.R’s and also to watch our left Flank. K.O.Y.L.I. replied that 4th K.R.R. had 2 posts in front of village and that he could command its eastern approaches.

At 13.35 hours a message was sent to C.Company, K.O.Y.L.I. asking them to try and get in touch with our B.Company and support it.

At 13.37. O.C., K.O.Y.L.I. was informed by message that the situation of B.Company was obscure, last information received was that O.C., B.Company has requested support from Northumberland Fusiliers and K.O.Y.L.I. but that it was not forthcoming; asked him to try and locate. O.C., K.O.Y.L.I. replied that he had ordered Northumberland Fus. Company to send up 1 platoon to secure the Right of his C.Company in main line of Resistance.

At 14.00 hours a message was received from Brigade Head-quarters as follows:-

“Situation at GOUY not clear, enemy believed counter-attacking at moment AAA Hold out where you are if possible will support you. (Ends)”

At 14.38 hours Companies were ordered to push their posts further forward over the Ridge in order to gain better observation of ground and flanks. They directed to send location of new positions.

A message was sent to Brigade at 14.45 hours asking for Water, S.A.A, and S.O.S., also reporting trouble from Guns near

Page 3.

3. “A” (Handwritten)

Guiaancourt Farm.

Several Forward Posts withdrew from Northern slopes of the Hill, but were at once sent back. Enemy Machine Gun fire and Artillery fire was very heavy at the time.

D.Company of K.O.Y.L.I. withdrew from Prospect Hill on account of this fire and casualties.

I at once ordered out 2 platoons from Main Line Resistance to form a Defensive Flank and personally requested O.C., K.O.Y.L.I. to send his company back. A written message received from him at 15.15 hours to the following effect.

“Original position again taken up on top of Prospect Hill one Platoon Northumberland Fusiliers has reinforced my D.Company there”.

At 5 p.m. D.Company report that posts now established forward at A.6.a.6.3. and A.6.b.3.3.

Touch not obtained with B.Company, Patrol still out.

A.Company one post at about B.1.H.0.5.

C.Company posts at about B.1.A.5.7.

Later the following message was received from K.O.Y.L.I.

“Following recived from BUGO.

Following report from 7th Australian Infantry Brigade on your Right, AAA 28th Battn is at present in touch system in B.2. as far as B.2.c.6.2. at least. I will at once endeavour to get in touch with your two Companies on Prospect Hill by pushing as far forward as trench junction B.2.c.2.4.

There is no chance of counter attack on our front except from Beaurevoir which is being dealt with.

Later report states that Australians are now in touch with the platoon of Northumberland Fusrs. On our Right at B.1.D.70.60.

No mention of B.Company who were, according to later accounts from O.C. Company, in touch with Australians.

At 6 p.m., O.C., D. reported that his patrol had returned but touch with B. had not been obtained.

At 6.25 p.m. O.C., D. reported that one of his Observers has seen the far ridge lined with enemy and he was trying to verify same.

At 18.55 a message was sent to O.C. Coys. Directing them to push forward their advanced posts to vicinity of enemy trench running E and W, on N. slopes of Prospect Hill with supports under N. Crest of Hill, the Company on left paying special attention to ground W. of Prospect Hill.

Extra Posts were now established at cross roads in GOUY by Reserve and Left Company was directed to get in touch with them.

Companies were directed to be prepared to provide guides when called for as it was possible that the Battalion might be relieved tonight. Wounded and dead in front were to be collected and brought in after dark.

At 18.40 Brigade informed “All trace of B.Company has been lost. We have patrols out trying to gain touch with them and K.R.R. Patrols have failed to find either. Water, S.A.A. not yet received. Posts have been established in Gouy, location given.

The Battalion was relieved by Wilts Regt. At about 9.30 p.m. and returned to Gouy.

BONY (Handwritten)

GENERAL REMARKS.

The orders received by Battalion were that they should leave Gouy alone, as the K.R.R. would mop up that village.

Most of the casualties were suffered on Prospect Hill from enfilade fire from Machine Guns and Artillery. This fire continued during the whole of the day, practically without cessation.

The men behaved well under very trying circumstances.

The O.C., D.C was wounded soon after starting.

O.C. C.Company was wounded also in the same preliminary stages of the attack.

The A/Adjt, Lieut Baillie, was killed during consolidation on Prospect Hill.

Page 4.

4. “A” (Handwritten)

2/Lt. Reid was wounded twice on Prospect Hill but remained on duty with his platoon until relieved at night.

2/Lt. Lewis was also wounded on Prospect Hill and was evacuated.

2/Lt. Quaile was acting as Liaison Officer between the Battalion and 4th K.R.R. and was killed in village of Gouy.

CASUALTIES.

Officers killed. 4 (Handwritten)

“ wounded. 8 (Handwritten)

Other Ranks killed 30 (Handwritten)

“ wounded. 186 (Handwritten)

Missing (Handwritten) 19 (Handwritten)

G F Greville (Handwritten signature)

Major (Handwritten)

Jeff, thank you kindly, much appreciated.

And am sure others will too.

Will enjoy reading later on.

Walter

Jeff

Thanks for that, it was a nice surprise and answered many questions.

Ian