Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Minibus Hire

Ken Lees

Can anyone tell me of any company in England that will hire a minibus for a trip to France? I have telephoned a number of companies with a view to organising a self-drive trip for myself and a number of colleagues in late September, but so far we haven't found one that will hire for going abroad.

Any Pals recommend a company?

Thanks,

Ken

The major companies (Avis , Hertz etc) used to be fairly relaxed about continental hire - but loaded their pricing greedily to compensate for the additional risk.

You have obviously considered it but think again about a train to Dover, travel as a passenger on the ferry & pick up vehicle in Calais, it's real easy, I have done it & must be cheaper cause of expense of van on ferry. + you get steering wheel on the right side for France. Passing in a low powered wrong side steered vehicle sucks.

Any Pals recommend a company?

I can tell you one to avoid! Dreadful experience. It is sound advice to treat the trip as two trips: get to the ferry one way or another, and get a vehicle in Calais. Try the obvious big providers if you want the security of pre-booking.

Anyway, good luck, nothing like a trip to the bottlefields [sic] in a bottlebus full of good friends.

Thanks Paul,

The cost of about 10 of us travelling by train to the ferry would be prohibitive, so that is out. Additionally, we need to consider everyone getting to the point of departure.

Neil,

Thanks for reminding me about this thread. I will make sure I get the legalities right as everyone on board will belong to the legal profession in one way or another :ph34r:

I'm still making no progress with companies who will hire us a vehicle, though.

Regards,

Ken

Oh, and I forgot. Ten is a tricky number: many companies have top limit nine including driver if memory serves. Leave wife behind, save the nagging.

LB,

I am offended by your remark about leaving the wife behind. How could you even think that I might take her?

There you go, that should split the fire from the PC machine gunners!

Ken

:ph34r:

In my own defence I would like to add that my more-than-supportive wife accompanies me on two or three trips a year to the Western Front and shows a tolerance above and beyond, etc.

Well said, sir! My wife is my permanent companion on the bottlefields: carries telephoto lens, note book, maps ............. and a better minibus driver than me. However, I am a much better navigator.

I would much prefer the company of Chester world famous messenger dog, airhead, errr, airedale I mean of the year! :lol:

My kitties got no interest in travel.

Try KVR, Kenilworth Van Hire (that's Kenilworth as in Warwickshire). We used them for the Pals tour to Verdun, and for WFA branch trips and have done for almost 10 years. They do a 17-seater LDV minibus at reasonable rates.

TThey do a 17-seater LDV minibus at reasonable rates.

Don't you need your PCV (Bus, coach license) for above 16?(15 + driver =16).

A lot of the minibus companys are now really expensive, but we are quite fortunate here in east Anglia to have a couple of good firms who do it. Alternatively, you could try your local papers for 'man with van' adverts, as we, also, have done this a couple of times....

Thanks gentlemen, I'll follow up these suggestions.

I have just had a response from a company called EasyRent, who are quoting £624 for a 15 seater (extra room) Fully Comp. Insurance to cover driving abroad and unlimited mileage. It won't cover us for breakdown "over there" but I believe we can add the bus to one of our own breakdown services?

Now I have a benchmark, I will see what else I can find.

Regards,

Ken