Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/Lt Charles Alvarez Vaughan Seaforths

rugbyremembers

Have CGWC records, but little information. 7th Bn Seaforths

D 25/09/15

Came from Colombia to serve. On Loos Memorial

Any more on him, or where the Seaforths were in Sept 1915?

TVM

From the History of the 9th ( Scottish Division ) 1914-1919 by Mr John Ewing MC

"On the front of the right Brigade, Brig-General Ritchie decided to attack with the 7th Seaforths on the right and the 5th Camerons on the left; these were supported respectively by the 8th Gordons and the 8th Black watch. The task of the leading battalions was to secure the first objective, which included the Hohenzollern Redoubt, the German main trench beyond it, and Fosse 8 with the Three Cabarets and the Corons de Pekin. "

Cheers Mike

24th: Battn moved into front three lines of trenches, Y sub-section, E. of Vermelles, 1 p.m. 4th day of bombardment. The line held by the Battn was the sector immediately opposite the HOHENZOLLERN REDOUBT.

25th. Battn attacked and captured HHEZOLLERN REDOUBT & FOSSE 8. The attack began at 6.28 a.m. The Battn held trench in front of FOSSE 8, facing HAISNES, until midnight, when the ROYAL SUSSEX ( Battn), relieved them. From 9.30 a.m. The Battn was under the command of Capt. W.T. Henderson, all those senior to him being out of action. Lt. Col W.T. Gaisford was killed at 9.4 a.m. at the Fosse by a shell, and Capt. H.P. Bennitt, who was then in command, was wounded shortly afterwards. The four company commanders were casualties very early in the action, Major H.P. Galloway and Capt. R. Kerr-Clark being killed and Capt. C.G. Gascoigne and Capt. K.K. Macleod wounded. Other casualties were Lt N. Bruce Lockhart and 2/Lts C.A. Vaughan and T.M. Munro killed and Capt. and Adj. F.W.T.V. Fraser, Capt. H. Farmer (wounded?)...

Found this in The Times of 26th February 1914

post-1356-1253094960.jpg

• 2 months later...

Found this in local paper -

Reported in the North Star of 7th October 1915 of the following:

‘An All-Roun Athlete Killed. Second-Lieut Charles Alvarez Vaughan, 7th Seaforths, who has been killed in France, was the eldest son of Mr and Mrs J M Vaughan, of Sylva, Putney-Heath. He was educated at Harrow (where he held the boxing championship of the school) and at Louvain University. He was an all-round athlete, and played in the Surrey County Rugby team. When the war broke out he left his employment in Bogota, Columbia, and returning to England, joined the Reserve of Officers. He was transferred to the 7th Seaforths.’

London Gazette: 19 December 1914, page 10898 – ‘General Reserve of Officers. Second Lieutenant Charles A Vaughan, late Officers Training Corps, is transferred from Cavalry to Infantry. Dated 20th December 1914.’

Stuart

If he went to Harrow there'll be a photo and bio in their roll of honour which I'm pretty sure is on line now so drop into the virtual library section of the doc repository on the forum or put out a post for his piicy. Andy Pay has a copy as does Dick Flory and they're both very helpful

Some great new info here, especially school and Uni , which will send me off in new directions as Hambo suggests (thanks too). Also this is the first time I have seen a confirmed address in London (1 mile from my home). CWGC has no address and implies that he was resident in Colombia not just working. All I need now is his profession and why he was working there!

Can you tell me which town the North Star is from (local paper source)

best wishes

Stuart,

This is a great piece of research, as I suspect the North Star is not hugely available on the internet. I thank you. As a local man (I have yet to visit your part of Scotland but hear great things of it) would you know if the Seaforths depot/barracks was in that area? As a Highland Regiment the answer is most likely yes. But any more you may know is valuable.

best wishes

PS I think I have now answered my own question by reading that the 7th Bn was formed at Fort George in 1914. That would explain the Dingwall interest in a London man.

I have a number of Seaforths in my list of Rosslyn Park players. Is the North satr indeed online, as i would like to see if they are there too.It is interesting that a local paper gives a far stronger impression of the men than the rather'official and dry language of the national newspapers like Tne Times - but why does that surprise me?

The Seaforths memorial is at Dingwall. They did indeed report to Fort George and basic training was on the Black Isle. The recruits were usually sent to the 3rd Bn at Cromarty, at the tip of the Black Isle.

Edit & PS - my avatar is Seaforth memorial at Dingwall, outside the 'Seaforth Rooms'!

Re North Star - Its not online but involves sitting at a microfilm reader!

Seaforths Museum is in incorporated with Cameron Highlanders as the Regimental Museum in Fort George.

If you are needing any other Seaforths - post me a message and I will see what I can find. I have yet to look at the Inverness Courier for Vaughan yet - the reason for the North Star being interested in Seaforths is that Dingwall was home to the 4th Battalion (T.F).

I am currently putting together database on Seaforth Officers and adding newspaper articles when I have time, ask I said let us know who else you are after - but I must warn you its early days with the prject have only been at it 8 months.

Stuart

Stuart,

In that case you deserve a medal as microfiche is beyond the call!

Other known Seaforths in my band are:

Capt Robert Keith McDermott, 3rd Bn KIA Beit Lid, Palestine, 20/09/18 on Jerusalem Memorial

Arthur Tulloch Cull, 1st Seaforths, transferred to RFC in Jan 1916 and KIA 11/5/17. He has an interesting story, having tangled with the Red Baron and his flying friends. See website for what I know (although Forum has changed some of the facts, which I need to update). He also has an intriguing pre-war history (yet to be confirmed) as a devoted fan of the ballerina Pavlova!

I have a brief history summary of the Seaforths from a Brian Budge, who is Orkney based. If of interest, let me know your email address and I will forward.

best wishes

Stephen