Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Queen Elizabeth

Guest _KaaN_

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering about the operational history of Her Majesties Ship Queen Elizabeth.

I only know that she saw action Dardanelles and was called back during the land campaign to avoid danger from German U-boots.

I hope you can help.

Here's a photo of this beautiful ship.

Best Regards

Kaan

HMS Quenn Elizabeth leaving for Dardanelles from Mudros:

post-24-1082827461.jpg

According to Siegfried Breyer in Battleships and Battlecruisers 1905 - 1970: Med Fleet: Feb - May 1915, from May 1915: Grand Fleet (fleet flagship 1916 - 1920). 19 Aug 1916 action against German fleet operations in the North Sea, no battle.

John Campbell in his monograph on the class:

22/12/14 - commissioned

5/2/15 - arr. Gib

18/2/15 - left Gib

20/2/15 - arr tenedos

14/5/15 - left for Gib

26/5/15 - arr Scapa

22/5/16 - arr Rosyth for refit

11/7/16 - refit as fleet flagship

2/17 - became fleet flagship

15/11/18 German officers arr on board to negotiate surrender of High Seas Fleet.

Regards,

David

David,

Thanks for your detailed reply. I wonder what happened after the war? Did she continue serving the navy? For how many years?

Best Regards!

Kaan

Hi Kaan

Home Fleet 1941

Mediterranean Fleet 1941-42

Refit USA 1942-43

Eastern Fleet 1944

East Indies 1945

Scrapped Dalmuir 07/07/1948 and Troon (hull only)

Steve

1919-1924 - Flagship Atlantic Fleet

1924-1926 - Flagship Med Fleet

1926-1927 - Refit (anti-torpedo bulges, trunked funnels)

1927- 1929 - Med Fleet

1929 - Atlantic Fleet

1929-1937 - Med Fleet

1937 -1941 - Reconstruction at Portsmouth

Jan 1941 - Home Fleet - Scapa

May 1941 - Joined Med Fleet (1st BS)

19/12/41 - severely damaged by Italian limpet mines in Alexandria harbour

1941-1943 - under repair, first at Alex, then in US

1944-1945 - Eastern Fleet (1st BS)

Aug 1945 - Reserve Fleet

1948 arr Dalmuir for scrapping

The Qeen Elizabeth was a Class Elizabeth Battleship whose sister ships of the same class were Barham.Malaya,Valiant and Warspite.

This ship was the first to bear the name Queen Elizabeth which will also be the name of one of the two aircraft carriers envisaged to enter service in the future.

Regarding her active role in the Far East,she was continally on station off Sabang, Surabaya,Rangoon and Sumatra in 1944 and 1945 and saw the final defeat of Japanese Imperial Forces.

Regards

Frank East

On a similar subject, anyone know why Britain didn't keep one of these magnificent ships, as a memorial/tourist attraction ? The Belfast is great, but imagine ferreting around in the Warspite - what memories ! It'd easily have paid for its keep with tours, bookings, movie appearances etc.

Same thing was said recently about the scrapping of Yavuz, last example of a great warship class.

My suggestion is that in the dark days of post-war rationing people were not thinking in the "heritage" terms which are so important to us today. It wasn't until 1959 that what became the Bluebell Railway kicked off the preservation movement for Rail, running its first train in 1960. Much followed in the spheres of both Rail and Air - and with growing success in more recent years. By the time anyone thought of preserving anything quite so large as a battleship they were all gone - HMS Belfast has been preserved since 1971. (Incidentally the D-Day memories of Rear Admiral M. Morgan-Giles, who was instrumental in forming a devoted band of enthusiasts who succeeded in saving HMS Belfast for the nation, are published in the current edition of [/i]Despatches, the magazine of the Friends of the Imperial War Museum.) There has been a similar move to save HMS Vengeance (WW2 Light Aircraft Carrier) recently but I don't know how far this has been successful.

Regards,

David

Bizarrely, way back in 1966 I was in charge of supply of the RN's crypto and teleprinters after it had been moved from Chatham Dockyard to RNSD Copenacre (where has that now moved to, does anyone know?) and lo and behold in amongst great piles of junk that they dumped on us was an enormous crate with the most gigantic crypto machine ever built (I guess) addressed to:

HMS Queen Elizabeth

New York Dockyard

(for refit)

and the date stencilled on was, I think, 1943

I' m surprised that no one noticed the hole that the thing should have occupied.