Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

World War One flight simulator

Mark Hone

A rather odd request, perhaps, but here goes. Not being a computer games buff, does anyone know of a good World War One flight simulator for the PC? There seem to be endless World War Two and Modern flight sims available but I can't see anything for 'our' era. I have long term plans for an event to coincide with the Wright Brothers anniversary in December. Several pupils of our school were involved in the RFC/RAF in the First World War.

'Red Baron' by Sierra- either version 2 or 3D if you have a fairly modern machine is a very popular WW1 flight sim which I can personally recommend. Another one I know of (but don't have) is FLying Corps Gold. They're all on Amazon.

There is also a program from 4 years ago or so called "Dawn of Aces". It is also the case that there are numerous add-ons developed by all sorts of people (officially and unofficially and even as freeware) to add WW1 aircraft to the Microsoft Flight Sim and Combat Flight Sim software. I cannot vouch for these in any sense but imagine flying a Fokker Tri-plane against a Spitfire or trying to land a BE2c at a busy Chicago International airport must both be interesting experiences.

Microsoft do have an add on to their "combat flight simulator" series (you need CFS 2).This is called "Aces of WW1" (or something similar).It's the same as the WW2 series,but you are flying in WW1 aicraft on WW1 missions (dogfights,balloon busting, Zep hunting,etc.).Haven't played it,but I've heard good reports.

Dave

Thanks all-is Red Baron 3D readily available?

Yes. I've seen it for a fiver in "Electronics Boutique".Bear in mind that it's not compatable with XP.

Dave.

Hi Mark

Have you thought of looking at http://www.simviation.com ?

Millions of downloads... a reputable, reliable site ... good help facilties... compatible with MS FS.

I haven't used many of them myself, as I get air-sick!

Just an idea.

Gwyn :)

I've just found out - the Microsoft WW1 add-on for "Combat Flight Simulator 2" that I mentioned earlier is called "Combat Aces".According to a friend of mine,it's excellent (even though he takes grim satisfaction in "ramming" Zeppelins to shoot them down,somewhat defeating the object I think!).

Dave

Mark,

Thanks for bringing this up. I loved the original Red Baron from Sierra and I think I'll follow your lead, thanks to the help of our colleagues, and hunt some of these down myself.

Jon

Just had a go on "Combat Aces". I can thoroughly recommend it (but I can't quite fathom out my friend's addiction for "Zeppelin Ramming"). I rate it as better then any of the CFS series that I've played.

Dave.

Dave,

I consider that game review high praise considering your Forum symbol is the one used by Charles Nungesser on his Nieuport. By the way it's one of my favorite pieces of Nose Art, well in Nungesser's case it was more fuel silage (is that the right spelling for the body of an airplane?) art.

Cheers,

Jon

your Forum symbol is the one used by Charles Nungesser on his Nieuport.

Nieuport, Spad and even his Rolls Royce car!