Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

VC and DCM ?

ianmccallum

Hi Nick

Can you tell me please if Cpl William Angus VC also won a DCM.

Ian

Ian,

There is no mention of him being awarded a DCM in his lengthy entry in 'The Victoria Cross 1856-1920 'by O'Moore Creagh and Humphris.

Likewise no mention of a DCM in his entry in www.victoriacross.org.uk/vcross.htm

nor in the 'VCs of the Western Front 1915 ' by Batchelor and Matson.

If you'd like a copy of his entry in the first publication then please let me know and I will send you a scanned copy.

Philip

Ian

He is not amongst the Highland Light Infantry DCMs, so coupled with the other info it would seem he was not a recipient.

Regards

Nick

I'm pretty certain the VC was his only gallantry award. Not sure if he was discharged due to wounds following his VC award, but would be surprised giving his injuries if he ever went near the front again. Certainly none of the accounts surrounding his VC mention an earlier award of a DCM. His grave stone also only shows the VC with no mention of a DCM.

Barrie

Ian

What makes you think he might have been awarded the DCM?

Barries right, Angus VC never did go back to the front (he ended up with 40 odd bits of metal in his body after his exploit), he did stay in uniform for a short term however and helped with recruiting, appearing at both Celtic Park and Ibrox

http://www.forvalour.com/

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies. I have some details of him listed on an old WW1 Celtic players list. The information came from various sources and the DCM was listed in one of them. It always struck me as odd since I knew how badly wounded he was and that he never went back into action being attached to an Officer Training establishment after he recovered. I was asking another question about a DCM when I suddenly remembered the Angus DCM question.

Ian

• 1 month later...

Apparently the best supporters in the world. My foot. They're an absolute disgrace.

Aberdeen Football Club unveiled a memorial to their war dead on Nov 11th. Do Celtic have a memorial? No, because unlike most other clubs in Scotland the Old Firm didn't allow their players to enlist.