Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unusual Memorial

hmsk212

Hi

Whilst researching the plaque to 18982 Private Ernest William Goodburn of the Machine Gun Corps I went to the village of Wootton in Kent to have a look at the memorial he was listed on. What a pleasant suprise to find such a nice and unusual memorial to those from the village that had fallen during the Great War. I have never seen such a memorial before and I wonder how many unusual designed memorials such as this covered bench there are dotted about the counrtyside. Are there any similar ones in your part of the world?

Steve

This [and next photo] is St. Nicholas, Bramber, lych-gate. The names are engraved on the timbers under the roof.

Sue

And this is the lych-gate at St. Mary's, Sompting. The names are on panels in the centre, underneath the poppies in this photo - there are benches on either side. Perhaps Sussex is big on lych-gates!

Sue

Grade 11 listed one at Market Overton in Rutland. Names on right and WW11 names added below .

Keith

post-19-1082823901.jpg

Sorry have not got a photo however there is a War Memorial Lych Gate at Sherston, Wilts.

Though a bit off topic, benches have become quiet popular as memorials in recent years. The victims of the 1995 OK City bombing have chairs, and the Pentagon Memroal will be 169 benches.