Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scots Fusiliers T.F. Officer in France 1915?

ianmccallum

Hi Guys

Curious medal card entry for Capt Patrick Joseph Lavelle, 1/5 Royal Scots Fusiliers. The card states entry into theatre as 4 June 1915 and France. 1/5 Royal Scots Fusiliers along with 1/4 R.S.F. T.F. were at that time heading for Gallipoli with the 52 Division. Capt Lavelle was later evacuated from "W" Beach and sent home sick with maleria. Anyone any ideas as to what might be going on. Can't find a list of Royal Scots Fusilier Officers embarking with the battalions. He could have been sent later as part of a draft of course, but it seems strange to be extracted from France to be sent to Gallipoli. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Ian

Ian

You might have this info.

Cheers

Atnomis

1/4th Battalion

August 1914 : in Kilmarnock. Part of South Scottish Brigade, Lowland Division. Moved in August 1914 to Stirling.

May 1915 : formation became 155th Brigade, 52nd (Lowland) Division.

Sailed from Liverpool on 21 May 1915, going via Mudros to Gallipoli, where the battalion disembarked on 7 June 1915.

Moved to France with the Division in April 1918.

1/5th Battalion

Record same as 1/4th Bn.

Name: LAVELLE, PATRICK JOSEPH ALOYSIUS

Initials: P J A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Scots Fusiliers

Unit Text: 5th Bn.

Date of Death: 04/10/1918

Awards: Twice Mentioned in Despatches

Additional information: Croix de Guerre with Palm (France). Son of Provost John Lavelle, J.P. and Mrs. Lavelle, of Brankle House, Coatbridge, Lanarkshire.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: C. 12.

Cemetery: CANTAING BRITISH CEMETERY

Here is his MIC

lavelle.jpg

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies and info. The question I am asking here is what is a 5 Royal Scots Fusilier T.F. officer who as far as I know only served with the 5 R.S.F. doing landing in France when his battalion was enroute to Gallipoli. I also know that he was later in Gallipoli because I know for sure that he was medically evacuated from "W" Beach in November 1915. Could the medal card be wrong?????

Ian

Yes. I spotted that pencil marks Mike. AS for lightening it I am afraid I am not that talented.

Cheers for the reply.

Ian

Hi Guys

Curious medal card entry for Capt Patrick Joseph Lavelle, 1/5 Royal Scots Fusiliers. The card states entry into theatre as 4 June 1915 and France. 1/5 Royal Scots Fusiliers along with 1/4 R.S.F. T.F. were at that time heading for Gallipoli with the 52 Division. Capt Lavelle was later evacuated from "W" Beach and sent home sick with maleria. Anyone any ideas as to what might be going on. Can't find a list of Royal Scots Fusilier Officers embarking with the battalions. He could have been sent later as part of a draft of course, but it seems strange to be extracted from France to be sent to Gallipoli. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Sadly i cant help with your query but i have a photo of him and his brother(James) who was killed in August 1915.Also have some info from the Coatbridge in the Great War book if you dont have it.Ill gladly sent you this info if it will help

John

• 3 weeks later...

John

I've just now spotted your offer of photos of the Lavelle brothers. I've been away for the last month or so. I would really appreciate copies. I am trying to put together a project on the Glasgow Irish and there are very few officers. Thanks again for the offer.

Ian

• 6 months later...

Hi All,

I am a very distant relative of Patrick and James LAVELLE and live in New Zealand. I have managed to find a pic of James, but not of Patrick. I am doing a family project of all members involved in WW1. I would really appreciate any information and or photos you can send me about these two or their family. Please substitute @ for 'at' in my e mail address. angelaatxtreme.net.nz. Thank you in advance!

Hi All,

Is there any way we can find out what he was mentioned in the despatches for, which afforded him the award of the Croix de Guerre?

Angela

There seems to be something written in pencil on the MIC, maybe if you could darken image, it might be possible to read it?

I had a play with it, I couldn't get the other words but the first appears to read "Transferred".

I had a play with it, I couldn't get the other words but the first appears to read "Transferred".

Andrew,

I have some info on Able Seaman Alexander Upton from Coatbridge if you`d like it. I have his photo also

John

Hi All,

Is there any way we can find out what he was mentioned in the despatches for, which afforded him the award of the Croix de Guerre?

Angela

Angela,

I`ll be emailing you in the next hour or so with photos and info

John

I have some info on Able Seaman Alexander Upton from Coatbridge if you`d like it. I have his photo also

Have sent a PM :)

• 2 years later...
Guest Kilgallen

Hello,

This is my first posting. I came across the various comments regarding the Lavelle brothers awhile back and just now got around to signing up. My father Henry Aloysius Bannen served with the Argyle Sutherland Highlanders 1914-1918. Although he was wounded, he survived intact. His cousins were Patrick and James Lavelle that, unfortunately did not make it back. Very interesting to see their names brought up and with documents s well after all these years.

Mimosa

Guest Kilgallen

This is all new to me. I just happened on the forum while browsing and was interested to find a discussion regarding James and Patrick Lavelle. They were first cousins of my father, Henry Aloysius Bannen who served with the Argyle Sutherland Highlanders 1914-1918. Although he had a gun shot wound in his arm, he survived intact which was quite a miracle since he served on the battlefield as a Thomas Machine Gun Operator. After seeing the movie, War Horse, it dawned on me that there are very few sons and daughters still around of these brave soldiers.

The Forum seems to be an excellent outlet for so many people like me.

Many Thanks,

Mimosa

• 2 years later...
Guest uptoncoatbridge

Remembering Gallipoli today and My grandfathers brother Seaman Alexander Upton.

Would love a copy of his photograph if you still have it.

Thank you