Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Could any one help with a service number ?

daveuk6

Hi all this is my great uncle tom i have all this info but no service number could anyone help me with this ??????????

17, Telegraph Street, Southsea.

There is another entry for a Robinson at the same address, maybe another relative?

ROBINSON, T., Driver, R.E.

He volunteered in August 1914, and in the following February was drafted to France, where he took part in the Battle of Ypres (II). Later he was transferred to the Balkans, and was engaged in guarding fortifications at Salonica, and various other places. He also served in Egypt and Palestine, and took part in the fighting at Maghaba, Rafa, Gaza, Jerusalem, Jericho, and in the Offensive under General Allenby in 1918. He returned home and was demobilised in June 1919, holding the 1914-15 Star, and the General Service and Victory Medals.

And looking for info on

Robinson Gregory G

Royal Berkshire Regiment 44137

and then

Hampshire Regiment 07941

any info on where he served

Thank you

Thank you

Dave

Dave

Thomas Robinson (and variations) is quite a popular name for soldiers in the R.E. ;) but there appears to be only one that fits the text , i.e. rank of Driver and went to France in February 1915 and that is this one (no guarantee it's him though).....

post-1432-1252881184.jpg

I could be completely wrong, but going off the RE service numbers I've observed in my research, he estimate would have been in an RE company between the 334th and 340th.

I could be completely wrong, but going off the RE service numbers I've observed in my research, he estimate would have been in an RE company between the 334th and 340th.

Without a service record I don't think it's possible to tie that particular Thomas Robinson down to a specific unit, the only thing I can say is it's definitely not the 334th to 340th Companies. The 334th to 340th were Road Construction Companies and although I don't know when they embarked to France it wasn't until 1916 at the earliest and may even have been as late as 1917, thus ruling them out as his MIC date of entry is February 1915.

The only way you can possibly attribute a five-digit Royal Engineers service number to a Road Construction Company is if it's prefixed with WR/, after the 1918 renumbering. Before 1918 men of the Road and Quarry Companies are more likely (though not exclusively) to have six-digit numbers in the 200000 plus range.

Regards

Steve