Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3 Headstones joined.

Guest KevinEndon

Guest KevinEndon

post-11197-1252874907.jpg

Can anyone explain how these 3 headstone are as 1 even though the dates of death are

11th May 1918

20th March 1918 and

10th April 1919.

I thought joined or touching headstones meant that they died together, however I am baffled as to the big gap between deaths but on a united headstone, can you help,

Kevin

post-11197-1252874907.jpg

Can anyone explain how these 3 headstone are as 1 even though the dates of death are

11th May 1918

20th March 1918 and

10th April 1919.

I thought joined or touching headstones meant that they died together, however I am baffled as to the big gap between deaths but on a united headstone, can you help,

Kevin

Kevin

They appear to be from different units. Possibly their bodies were given temporary graves until after the 11th May.

Still does not answer why only the one grave for the three. Could depend on the location.

Tony

It would indicate a burial pit where the bodies or body parts couldn't be ID'd individually but were known to be those men and possibly in this case the men were buried on top of each other rather than side by side,

cheers, Jon

They are buried in the same lair at Paisley and so the likelyhood they could not be identified seems remote. Most likely they died in a nearby Military Hospital. Having three men detailed on a single granite headstone does seem unusual.

They may have come from Dykebar War Hospital (asylum).

Jon's idea that they were buried in the same plot seems to have merit. If there were no headstones, or only temporary markers, the war graves commission would have been forced to devise a headstone as above.

I seem to recall that they were simply an experimental pattern and can be located in several churchyards around the UK (I believe that they exist also in Scandanavia). Bodelwyddan has several good examples of these (and double stones too)...

post-357-1252918792.jpg

Guest KevinEndon

Yet again a big gap between deaths. I don't understand why 3 strangers would be put in the same lair with deaths over 12 months apart. There is 1 double grave in Hawkhead all the rest are in single graves, confused.

Kevin

Leeds Roman Catholic Cemetery at Killingbeck has at least one double burial with a single headstone, but the inscriptions are arranged in the more familiar 'one up, one down' configuration.

Again, these guys were not from the same unit, one was British, and the other, IIRC, is a Belgian. They would most likely have died over the road in Seacroft Hospital, a military hospital in both world wars dealing specifically with infectious diseases.

Cheers,

Nigel