Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme Hospital Belfast

1690philip

Phil

What is happening with the Somme Hospital these days - is it in use? I thought I read somewhere that there were proposals to turn it into some sort of museum?

Brian

Brian there was talk about it being opened as a visitor centre but I have not heard any more. It would take a good few pounds to get the building up to scratch as I seen it does need loads of repairs. Maybe the National lottery heritage grant would fit into that category. The one thing that alarmed me was around the back of the building, it had a window opened and it did seem as if kids were using it as a drinking den. I will phone the heritage centre today to report it.

Regards,

Phil

post-43363-1252913995.jpg

Hello Lads

The article in the paper ref museum was a request to put the war years remembered collection on permanent display

as you can guess the main problems funding the somme centre has agreed to sell me the building to turn it in to a museum if funds can be raised

approx 1 to 1.5 million

the refurbishment has also been costed and as it is now being upgraded to a class a building it will have to be restored to former gloary region of 1.2 to 1.5 million

in the grand scheme of things its not alota of money when you consider they spent 20 million on the tall ships

the botanic museum which opens its doors this month had a 17 million pound up lift

so dig deep lads

also ref the kitchen window round the back that block is seperate from the house and is scheduled for demolishment in near future as the place is so seclude its hard to keep them away from the back of it

i was alarmed myself to see the state its got in to and they only put a new roof on it approx 15 years ago

i am still in talks with EBCDA and SH&CS ref turning it into a museum we hope he trail does not go cold on it

Yours Davey

War Years Remembered