Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Map Request

barry73

Hi All,

I am after a trench map for the 55th west Lancaster Div (KORLR) for April 1918 around the Givenchy trenches (east of Bethune) and a location of Drouvin camp.

Many Thanks & Best Wishes,

Barry

Here's a map from 24/5/18 around Givenchy, taken from Linesman, I can't help you with a location for Drouvin camp unfortunately..

regards

Tom

post-5284-1252826188.jpg

1918 map of Drouvin just west of south from Bethune...no camps marked..

Tom

post-5284-1252827060.jpg

Thanks Tom for the maps.

I had noted from W.F.A. Wadham & Captain J. Crossley's book that "Life alternated between the trenches at Givenchy, and Reserve at Drouvin Camp." From April - Aug 1918.

Yes Chris, it's the 1/4th. I appreciate anything you can send me.

Thanks & Best Wishes,

Barry

• 3 weeks later...

Just bumping this up in hope that Chris Baker will see it. I had sent a pm, but I think your mail box is full :rolleyes:

Thanks Chris I'd be so greatful for anything you have on the KORL 55th 1/4th. Around April 1918 onwards.

Best Wishes,

Barry

barry73@optusnet.com.au

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi, can you help?

My Gt Uncle that I am researching was Lieutenant JE Fenn MC 305523 Kings Liverpool 1/8. He was assigned to the 164th Brigade Mortar Trench Division in late 1917, and so we think he was at Givenchy when he died on 9th April 1918. Have you anything that may help us locate him?

Thanks,

Shaun Gillespie

• 4 months later...

The Field Ambulance that dealt with casualties from this section of the front in April 1918 was the 2/1 Wessex Field Ambulance. My father was a doctor with them at this time. (And working in the L-shaped building on the edge of the map due West of Windy Corner)

I will have a rummage to see if there is anythintg in the 2/1 WFA history about where casualties came from and were moved to during the April assault, but I know it was all very chaotic. I'll also see if their is anything in Coop's History of the 55th of which I have a copy.

Re Drouvin: Later in 1918 my father was transferred to the 1/5 KORL as their MO and was a Drouvin/Vaudricourt Rest area at some point. There were a number of official photographs of officers and men of the 1/5 KORL taken at Drouvin next to the church, which is in the centre of the village, thus looking at the map I would imagine that the camp was close by and thus probably in that empty space near the 50 on the contour line. But it was a big Camp so may have occupied the whole of the area between Drouvin and Vaudricourt as the two places often seemed to be referred to together.

The KORL photos are at:

http://www.kingsownmuseum.plus.com/gallerywwone001.htm

As an example of how quickly casualties were moved and where they were moved to: One of my father's stretcher-bearers (Pte Stoneman)was killed at Windy Corner on the 9th April and he was buried at Houchin which is south of Drouvin.

The route for evacuation of casualties would have been based on the location of the various components of the chain. The regimental Aid posts being right behind the Front. Advanced Dressing Stations were at Lone Farm (The L-shaped building where my father was) at Tuning Fork. (A road Junction shaped like a tuning fork located off the map to the top left) Tuning Fork had to be abandoned and was moved further West to Gorre Brewery. The Field Ambulance HQ and MDS was in Bethune at a School and the CCS was north West of Bethune at Choques.

However during the battle in April 1918 various bridges over the Canal were destroyed so casualties that would ahve gone south first had to be moved West on the north side of the canal before being taken across it, boats were also used to shift casualties towards Gorre. It may thus be very difficult to work out where a casualty had come from on the basis of where they ended up, but it was usually still only a few hours between someone getting wounded and arriving at at CCS.

Alfred

• 2 months later...

Hello Alfred

Many thanks for the reply, and sorry that I have only just seen it! Any help you can give is very much appreciated.

All the very best, Shaun Gillespie

The Field Ambulance that dealt with casualties from this section of the front in April 1918 was the 2/1 Wessex Field Ambulance. My father was a doctor with them at this time. (And working in the L-shaped building on the edge of the map due West of Windy Corner)

I will have a rummage to see if there is anythintg in the 2/1 WFA history about where casualties came from and were moved to during the April assault, but I know it was all very chaotic. I'll also see if their is anything in Coop's History of the 55th of which I have a copy.

Re Drouvin: Later in 1918 my father was transferred to the 1/5 KORL as their MO and was a Drouvin/Vaudricourt Rest area at some point. There were a number of official photographs of officers and men of the 1/5 KORL taken at Drouvin next to the church, which is in the centre of the village, thus looking at the map I would imagine that the camp was close by and thus probably in that empty space near the 50 on the contour line. But it was a big Camp so may have occupied the whole of the area between Drouvin and Vaudricourt as the two places often seemed to be referred to together.

The KORL photos are at:

http://www.kingsownm...erywwone001.htm

As an example of how quickly casualties were moved and where they were moved to: One of my father's stretcher-bearers (Pte Stoneman)was killed at Windy Corner on the 9th April and he was buried at Houchin which is south of Drouvin.

The route for evacuation of casualties would have been based on the location of the various components of the chain. The regimental Aid posts being right behind the Front. Advanced Dressing Stations were at Lone Farm (The L-shaped building where my father was) at Tuning Fork. (A road Junction shaped like a tuning fork located off the map to the top left) Tuning Fork had to be abandoned and was moved further West to Gorre Brewery. The Field Ambulance HQ and MDS was in Bethune at a School and the CCS was north West of Bethune at Choques.

However during the battle in April 1918 various bridges over the Canal were destroyed so casualties that would ahve gone south first had to be moved West on the north side of the canal before being taken across it, boats were also used to shift casualties towards Gorre. It may thus be very difficult to work out where a casualty had come from on the basis of where they ended up, but it was usually still only a few hours between someone getting wounded and arriving at at CCS.

Alfred