Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Green Room Club

chrisharley9

I note that the plaque was up for auction - was in bought? Is possible to visit and view it?

• 4 months later...

The booklet on the 'Green Room Plaque', its sculptor, and the careers and military service of the twelve actors remembered which was produced following the Plaque's auction at a sale room in Rugby is now available - and includes thanks for information from members of this site who are duly acknowledged. There have now been several illustrated presentations about the Plaque to family history societies, mostly in UK, one in Holland, and one at 'Who Do You Think You Are? Live' at Olympia earlier this year. Amazing how a memorial could provide so much information - as well as contact with several of the descendants who provided photographs. Further details of the Plaque and the publication at http://johnphfrearson.host22.com/The%20Green%20Room%20Plaque.html

I note that 'Old Sweats' asked if the Plaque was bought. It was indeed for about £800, I recall, plus some buyers premiums, so probably about £1000 in total. The buyer is unknown due to auctioneer confidentiality - I did ask!!. It was offered to the present Green Room Club for £3000 which was well beyond what a fairly 'itinerant' club could afford, and they would have to find somewhere to keep it. A confirmatory 'provenance' has been found, which was was published in an American magazine, 'Studio-Notes' in 1920, and I was able to buy a copy of the page with a fine B&W image from an 'ephemera' firm on EBay!! The present location of the Plaque is unknown, but thought to be London. Details have been provided, together with 'provenance' and the actors' names to the IWM's 'War Memorials Archive'. More details are available from my web page in an earlier post - or Google Frearson Green Room Plaque.

• 4 months later...

Lionel Mackinder was an old boy of Merchant Taylors' School. In the School register it records the following: Harris, Edward Stephen, attended Merchant Taylors' School 1879-82. son of Stephen T and Jean Susan, of 114 South Hill Park, NW London.; actor as Lionel Mackinder; L-Cpl R. Berks. Regt.; kia 10.1.1915. The School records his death as the 10th April (it is more likely the 9th as per CWGC), and this caused some confusion in trying to track his burial place. Furthermore, his stage name led to inaccurate biographical details being listed in the School magazine. Alas, it was not clear to the School what name he served under!

His (inaccurate) obituary in the Taylorian and his photo can be seen here.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hawqv984gdjgoit/AAAZhItbK_PLp2R7re1Srkhva?dl=0

Please feel free to use but I would be grateful if anyone who does could share their research with the school at jtaylor@mtsn.org.uk

• 5 years later...