Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

30 Squadron RFC

Brian Ludgate

Hi All

Whilst researching a local memorial I have come across the name Capt. Lawrence Hope King-Harman previously of the RHA. who died on 26/10/1916 and is buried at Amara War Cemetery, Iraq. I note from CWGC that he was also Mentioned in Despatches.

Any information on the MID or circumstances of his death would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

His records are at the UK National Archives, Kew: WO 339/7351 KING-HARMAN L H, Capt 1905-1916

Brian

Lt Sidney Haywood (formerly East Lancashire Regiment) [pilot] and Capt L H King-Harman [observer] were killed in an accident while flying in Voisin LAS No 8523 on 26 October 1916.

I hope that this helps you.

Gareth

Thanks for the responses

Gareth

Do you know where this accident took place, as I gather that bodies were buried at Amara from a largish area? Also, would it be unusual for a Lt. to be piloting with a Cpt. as observer?

Brian

Also, would it be unusual for a Lt. to be piloting with a Cpt. as observer?

Observer and pilot were different skills, it was common to have a disparity of ranks.

Also, would it be unusual for a Lt. to be piloting with a Cpt. as observer?

In the RFC/RAF it was less common for the pilot to be junior to the observer rather than the other way round, but by no means rare. In the German Aviation Service, it was the norm.

Brian

There's a very brief history of No 30 Sqn in Vol 7 No 4, of Cross & Cockade Journal (the Winter 1966 edition). Unfortunately, it doesn't mention the crash that you're interested in or, indeed, anything else between the fall of Kut and the start of offensive operations in December 1916. However, it does say that Capt King-Harman joined the squadron on 10 June 1916.

I'm sorry that I don't have more information.

Gareth

Flat Out - The Story of 30 Squadron Royal Air Force, by John Hamlin (Air Britain 2002 ISBN 0-85130-308-0) is a very detailed history of that outfit and contains a photograph of King-Harman, a photograph of the Voisin in which he died and a photograph of his temporary grave.

• 3 weeks later...

From Colonel Tennant’s book ‘In the Clouds above Baghdad’ –

On the morning of the 23rd, while Captains Herring and King-Harman were spotting for the guns, they observed the ‘enemy aircraft’ signal at one of the ground stations; immediately shaping course in their old Voisin, they five minutes later picked up a suspicious looking machine at about 6000 feet. Inn turning to get between them and the sun it showed up the black crosses clearly, and the two machines passed left hand to left hand about 150 yards apart. The enemy could walk round the Voisin, and, with rudder control shot away, the British machine went down in a spinning nose dive amid a hail of bullets from the Hun. With great coolness Herring pulled her out when near the ground, and only crashed his under carriage. Herring and King-Harman got back to Arab Village, too up a Henry Farman, and, directing the fire obliterated the target from which they had been interrupted. Alas! King-Harman met his end in a crash with Lt Hayward a few weeks later.

And

On the morning of the 26th Captain King-Harman and Lt Hayward were killed while starting out on reconnaissance in a Voisin; it was one of those accidents with no evidence to give any clue as to the cause. These splendid fellows were a great loss to the squadron. They lie in the desert close to the Tigris.

Hope this helps

• 1 year later...

<i>Flat Out - The Story of 30 Squadron Royal Air Force</i>, by John Hamlin (Air Britain 2002 ISBN 0-85130-308-0) is a very detailed history of that outfit and contains a photograph of King-Harman, a photograph of the Voisin in which he died and a photograph of his temporary grave.

I dont suppose it is possible to get a scan of his photo and the Voisin. I ask, as I am the custodian of his medal group. I purchased these probably 5 or more years ago. Unfortunately, I do not have his memorial plaque.

One thing I will add, is that he was an Observer, with direct purpose of spotting and observing for the Artillery, as he was first and foremost a Royal Horse Artillery officer, having been previously mentioned in dispatches for NW India in 1915. From memory, he survived a crash not long before his fatal crash.

I will try and dig out my research files on him, to try and add to this thread.