Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

U.S. Army Infantry Lt. Uniform

HMS Resolute

Hi everyone. What would a U.S. Army Infantry Lieutenant's uniform consist of during the Great War in 1918? If you could just hit me up with a list, that would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help!

here's an "end of the war" photo of the original owner of a dog-tag in my collection which may help with your query... Lt.E.L.Sayre. Ignore the 37th Div insignia on his upper arm as this would be unlikely to have been encountered on the battlefield (and even less likely before Oct 1918). The chevron on the cuff indicates 6 months overseas service. The Sam Brown belt rig was frowned upon by US "powers that be" , but very commonly encountered.

Dave.

post-357-1252444597.jpg

This does help me actually, but I wasn't clear in my question.

I mean: What gear would the Lt. have worn in addition to his helmet, tunic, trousers, boots and putties? Thanks!

Photos of US Army officers are abundant in numerous books.

Officers in the trenches would likely be wearing private purchase waterproof trenchcoats over the wool uniform; brodie helmets; knee-high lace up trench boots; gasmask. Web equipment is fairly simple: attached to the pistol belt would be his .45 auto with holster and ammo pouch; first aid pack in pouch; water bottle (canteen); haversack as well as map case? compass? binoculars?

Hope this helps,

John

Agree with all of the above.

In an active front line situation and/or going into the attack, officers may well have carried a rifle and discarded the majority of items of dress that would have easily distinguished them from a private soldiers. Hard learned lessons about what snipers look for.

Chris

Bret Werner's book "Uniforms, equipment and Weapons of the American Expeditionary Forces in World War 1" (Schiffer Publishing) has an excellent chapter on officers uniforms and equipment used in France 1917-18. Lots of great period photos and colour photos of old uniforms and equipment as mentioned in the above posts.

A pricey book but well worth seeking out.

Scott

This photo shows tow US soldiers and some Australians resting/sheltering during an advance. The two standing figures are the Americans. The only visible equipment carried by the US officer is the gas mask, the rest would be under his trench coat.

Interesting to see the US soldier has used his Springfield rifle sling on the SMLE he is carrying

post-6040-1252676290.jpg

This photo shows tow US soldiers and some Australians resting/sheltering during an advance. The two standing figures are the Americans. The only visible equipment carried by the US officer is the gas mask, the rest would be under his trench coat.

Interesting to see the US soldier has used his Springfield rifle sling on the SMLE he is carrying

I suspect this photos is probably from the attack on Hamel when elements of the US 33rd Division attacked with the Australians. The numbers involved were reduced to four companies at the last minute (there was a significant division between the other allied commanders and Pershing) but the reduced numbers did play an important part in the attack (July 1918). The US units involved were the 131st and 132nd infantry.

There are a number of photos of the King and various senior officers inspecting the US troops after the action and they are parading with their SMLEs but, as here, with US slings on.

There is an account of this action and some of the photos are reproduced in Charles Messenger's excellent "The Day we Won the War"

Chris

Accorcing to a Pershing biography, "Pipeclay and Drill," Pershing favored the Sam Brown belt, but US Army Chief of Staff Leonard Wood, did not. Upon their return to the US after the war, officers dumped their Sam Browns over the side of the ships in protest to Wood's order that officers wearing it would be arrested. When Pershing became Chief of Staff (1919?), the Sam Brown became part of the US uniform.

US M1910 web belt with M1912 holster M1909 Colt 45, small box repirator (either US or British model). As mentioned above often a British Sam Browne as well.

The Colt Model 1909 was a trial model of pistol--approximately 23 of them were made for the U.S. Army. The Model 1911 was the production model used by the U.S. in the Great War. Manufacture of the M1911A1 began in 1924.

• 2 months later...
Guest MD Anglerman

Sam Brown belt was pretty common for AEF officers - Pershing actually liked it when he saw it on his British compratriots and thought that it approved the appearance of AEF officers. :D