Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte James/ George Page, RWF

cmf

Can someone do a SDGW and Death Register check (to verify first name) on 33258 Pte James Dee, RWF, DoD 22/08/1915, buried Wrexham Cemetery. A report in the Carlisle Journal of Friday, 3rd September 1915:

While two anglers were fishing in the river Dee, between Chester and Wrexham, one of them hooked and brought ashore a man's body. It was identified as that of Private George Page, Royal Welsh Fusiliers, who had been missing for a week.

Chris

SDGW seems to show him as James Page, born and resident Cardiff. A search on the FreeBMD site reveals that the only Page whose death was registered in Wrexham Registration District between the June and December Quarters of 1915 was a James Page, aged 34 (Cert. ref. Wrexham 11b 276).

EDIT- from the CWGC grave reference I realise I have an image of his burial place: it was a mass grave holding some 11 bodies, all but one military personnel. Not the most photogenic of stones, and I realise that the shots I have (taken to show another man's name) don't include most of his inscription, but all it states are his number, rank, surname & initial (J.), regt., date of death and plot reference number. If you want the general shot of the grave, PM or email me.

LST_164

Chris,

my edited response may have crossed over with your own quick reply - please read!

LST_164