Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

experimental virtual war memorial

john w.

Can you help please, this is a bit of PALs research into a virtual war memorial.

Outline

The memorial does exist and is in the village of Stock, at a recent Parish Council meeting I out forward that there were names missing and could they be included. The Royal British Legion were deputised to look at the names and they decided that it was too long ago and that they would recommend that the names were not included.

Solution

We decided to take photos of the memorial and blank out all the names. These were then rewritten, including the ammended names, lost names and so on so it was updated as research had shown.

Would you...

Have a look a the following link and give us feedback as to what you think, here or email off forum

http://www.stock.org.uk/history/virtual-stock/index.htm

Thanks

John

Nice idea and well done. Why not have the extra names put onto a small plaque and mount it on or near the original memorial? Deciding that it was 'too long ago' is ridiculous. Do we have a time limit on remembrance? Every year wreaths are laid at the Crimea and Boer War memorials here in Cheltenham as well as the main memorial. When I bow my head I think of all the men and women who have laid down their lives under our flag.

Steve

Nice idea John. Only one comment, the officers have their ranks noted on the memorial, the other ranks do not. Wouldn't it be better to either include the ranks of all the men or alternatively just list the names. Talbot House in Poperinghe famously had the 'abandon rank all ye who enter here'. Isn't it also true to say that death knows no distinction of rank?

But it looks good. Well done.

Paul

John,

I think it is brilliant and I see that a further use could be for towns or place that have a monument but no names at all ie Nelson in Lancs. I especially like the info behind the name so unlike an actual monument.

Peter

Nice project, John. I like the fact that you can click on the name for more information. It represents a lot of work and you should be proud of it. It is good to hear of people defying opposition to do what they think is right.

How do you plan to publicise this within the village?

A couple of little points occur and I will contact you privately rather than appear to be critical, because I’m not.

I find it hard to see the point of view of those who argue that it is too late. As a reason, it doesn’t stack up. What do they really mean?

Gwyn

John,

Nice project well done. Have you had any feedback from the inhabitants of Stock???.

Andy

Excellent idea John. A very good way of providing information that otherwise could have been lost. Are you producing a booklet on the Stock Memorial for visitors to purchase ? This may provide some extra funds towards an added plaque for the men not mentioned on the memorial. Also I am sure people would like access to your information if they do not have internet facilities.

Regards

Myrtle

John

An excellent piece of work, and something that we should all perhaps consider. Not necessarily with regard to missing names, but certainly with the view of adding information to the names.

Perhaps worth contacting your local authority, specifically the historian/librarian, to see if they can give you a hyperlink from their site. It is Local History after all.

STephen

Well done John- a nice piece of initiative.

I would agree with an earlier post about rank having no place in death but it is a minor point. I am far more concerned about the reaction of your local branch of the RBL. I can assure you that were it our memorial the branch would keep pestering the parish council until the names were put on.

Any way well done; it's a good effort

Garth

Thanks for the comments PALs.. am really pleased.... thanks...

As for the ranks, the original photos show the rank of captain and lieutenant, that's why they are there. But not military awards such as MM MC etc...

John

That's an excellent idea you had John and it must have taken a while to put it all together.

Well done indeed.

Good work ... I assume the base photo is of the Village's real memorial.

Here in the US, almost all cities (the only incorporated type of community, regardless of size) have a website. Usually all the city dept. have their news, etc. Local businesses and services, etc. - all the usual stuff. This link could be on that website. Not that it would draw big time traffic, but it would show a continuing interest on the part of the villagers or citizens of the community.

Here is a problem. Right now, once a name is added and I assume that names would be added from time to time - as a result of research or of the Iraqnam conflict, a technical person would have to do the work. Is there a way that a city person could simply add a name to a database and generate the "picture" automatically?

Here in Texas almost every county courthouse has adopted a Combined Roll of Honor type of theme. Only the Confederates are seperate - but those predate any of the Yankee wars - starting with the Spanish American war ... I think you could still do that with your idea if you could make the addition easy ... maybe make a couple of bucks in the process.

Andy

Dear John,

I think this is an absolutely superb idea and a great piece of work. What appeals to me is the beautiful simplicity of the design. The layout and the colours used are really good on the eye. The photographs are clear and to be able to click on the names and get information about the men would, i think, be applauded by those who originally supplied them.

Your local RBL should supply a small, unobtrusive plaque positioned somewhere near to the original memorial containing simply the address of the website.

Great effort, worthy use of the net and most of all, a fine tribute,

Best wishes,

Steve.

John.

I agree, great idea.

You note that William Precious was killed August 1915 while with the 1st Essex in Gallipoli and that he is not on the CWGC site.

He is listed on the CWGC site as being with the 1st Essex and having died on August 6th 1915. He is commemorated at Twelve Tree Copse.

His service number 3/3240 shows he was at some stage in the 3rd Battalion, probably pre war. In 1901 he was 16 and working as a Post Office assistant.

John.

John

Thanks for the info will set the record straight..

Thanks for the positive comments

John

Today I went Live on BBC Essex to tell about the memorial and why it has gone virtual....

It might be good to find out what ones are lost and if it is possible to reconstruct them.

Would you email me with any that you know have gone..

One mentioned was Nelson Lancashire.

I feel a project coming on :D

John

John,

Thats great news. I mentioned Nelson in Lancs because the memorial there never had names on it and in the course of researching my Great Uncle who was killed at Messines Ridge, was dismayed to learn from Dave O'Mara (Croonaert) of the lack of names on the Nelson Memorial. I think it would be a good, that for future generations, there might be a virtual memorial such as the one that you have done. The other advantage of a virtual memorial is that there are no physical limitations on the size or number of names that can be on, also later "discoveries" can be added without a stonemason.

I can only guess that the reason Nelson Corporation chose not to put names on, is the sheer number that would have to be on it due to the overwhelming numbers of men who died from Nelson and the surrounding areas such as Barrowford, Brierfield, Reedyford,etc.

Although I live in Australia, if you need any help with this intended project, I would be happy to assist in any part of it.

Peter ;)