Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th Batt Sherwood Forrester expert needed

LindsayH

hi all.

I have been researching my G Uncle George Proctor ( 17965) who I believe served with the 11th Batt SF and died from wounds he recieved in France on 3/6/1916, (died at home in Buxton 4/4/917). I looked at the CWGC site for his info and found that he is listed as serving with the 4th Battalion SF?

Can anyone pls confirm for me who he was serving with or served with. In particular is there any link to the 'Ambulance' coorps as in a newspaper article published on his death in the Buxton Times it staes he was serving with the Ambulance corps and was wounded while carrying a wounded soldier from out of 'no-mans land'. Would not such a deed be noted somewhere or did/do they mention such deeds in medal honours etc?

Any info would be grateful (I am resaerching from Australia and a novice so pls excuse if I have missed anything obvious!)

News article attached.

Regards.

Lindsay

post-46021-1252029619.jpg

Hi Lindsey,

the date of entry on George's MIC is consistant with the 11th Bn. landing in France and SDGW also confirms this battalion. The 4th Bn. was the Extra Reserve Bn and remained in the UK throughout the war as part of the Tyne Garrison on the East Coast defenses based in Sunderland, it's probable that the CWGC have made a transcription error so it may be worth getting in touch with forum member Terry Denham who can help with this.

I can't find any service papers for George so no indication that he served with the RAMC but it is possible that George was a battalion Stretcher Bearer which may be why it's noted that he 'served' with the Ambulance Corps. Many men brought wounded men in and often under fire most of these deeds went un-noticed or it was seen that these men were just doing their job but that's not to say that medals were not awarded for these acts.

There are several Notts and Derby experts on the forum who I'm sure will be able to add more meat to the bones than I and I'm sure they'll be along soon,

cheers, Jon

Hi Lindsay

I can only agree with what Jon has said. Although I would add that on his return to England, or having left hospital, he would most likely have been transfered to the 4th Battn prior to being posted back to orignal Unit (11th Battn) or another unit/battn or discharged. You see these transfers quite a lot on mens service papers when they had returned to England due to wounds etc.

Below I have posted the service record of a 1st Battn man (George Leveratt) that was wounded twice; in fact he spent some time in Sheffield Hospital.

On both occasions that he was wounded (4.1.15 & 21.8.16) he returned to England and (nominally) posted first to D (Depot) and then on to a reserve battn (3rd or 12th TR). On the second occasion he was finally discharged. I assume this transfering was done so that the wounded men in England didn't remain on the nominal roll of a Battn in the field in France.

I would suspect that something similar happened with George, but in this case he was posted to 4th BAttn and was 'serving' with them when he actually died.

post-4619-1252056949.jpg

cheers

Mike

the date of entry on George's MIC is consistant with the 11th Bn. landing in France and SDGW also confirms this battalion.

Extract from 11th Battalion War Diary:

'Mon., Mar 6, 1916

IN TRENCHES.

The Battalion took over the trenches from the 8th Battn K.O.Y.L.I.

17962 Lance Corpl. Sheasby A.W. &

1765 Pte. Proctor G. were wounded.'

post-37838-1252066085.jpg

.. on his return to England, or having left hospital, he would most likely have been transfered to the 4th Battn prior to being posted back to orignal Unit (11th Battn) or another unit/battn or discharged. You see these transfers quite a lot on mens service papers when they had returned to England due to wounds etc.

Mike got in first, but I would agree with this (for what it's worth!).

Hi Lindsay,

I read this post with interest, I didn't realise that George had landed in France in 1915 and was thus entitled to the 14/15 Star. Several years ago I purchased his pair and plaque and still have them, shame the star has been separated. I have travelled to Buxton and visited his grave to pay my respects.

Richard

who he was serving with or served with

Lindsay,

You have the answer now but just for information the following (condensed) appeared in the Derby Mercury dated 31/3/16:-

"Casualties in other local corps are 17982 LCpl A.H. Sheasby 11th Sherwood Foresters died of wounds .............. 20811 Pte W.Bee , 17865 Pte G. Proctor , 19167 Pte S. Shore , 17989 Pte H. Walker, 11th Sherwood Foresters.....wounded

Stuart

• 9 months later...
Hi Lindsay,

I read this post with interest, I didn't realise that George had landed in France in 1915 and was thus entitled to the 14/15 Star. Several years ago I purchased his pair and plaque and still have them, shame the star has been separated. I have travelled to Buxton and visited his grave to pay my respects.

Richard

Hello there 'somme visitor'....I am the original LindsayH who started this post but have had to 're-enlist' with another user name etc as I had problems with my other account for some reason. But anyway I am facinated that you picked up on this post regarding my great uncle George Proctor (real surname Hyde). I gather from your message you purchased George's medals? Pls excuse my words as I am a novice in all of this having just started this amily history thing from Australia and finding the linkages of my immeadiate family history to the Great War absolutely facinating. I have the medals of my grandfather - George's older brother (Oldham Pals -28168, 1915 -1916) and so am grateful for your message knowing that the medals do exist.

I appreciate your visit to his grave and your respects but would be very grateful if you could possibly send a photograph of his medals and where. how you located them?and if you ever have the incling to want to sell his medals to my family I would be most grateful and make any reimbursment needed to make it your worth while. This would be most satifying in my journey.

But I understand.

I am not sure if you have sent me any personal mesages to my previous user name (lindsayH) but if you have I would appreciate if you re-send to my new account name as listedon this mesasge.

Once again thank you for your message.

Lindsay Hyde

Hi Lindsey,

the date of entry on George's MIC is consistant with the 11th Bn. landing in France and SDGW also confirms this battalion. The 4th Bn. was the Extra Reserve Bn and remained in the UK throughout the war as part of the Tyne Garrison on the East Coast defenses based in Sunderland, it's probable that the CWGC have made a transcription error so it may be worth getting in touch with forum member Terry Denham who can help with this.

I can't find any service papers for George so no indication that he served with the RAMC but it is possible that George was a battalion Stretcher Bearer which may be why it's noted that he 'served' with the Ambulance Corps. Many men brought wounded men in and often under fire most of these deeds went un-noticed or it was seen that these men were just doing their job but that's not to say that medals were not awarded for these acts.

There are several Notts and Derby experts on the forum who I'm sure will be able to add more meat to the bones than I and I'm sure they'll be along soon,

cheers, Jon

.Thank you Jon. Mike and Stuart all for your replies. I have had difficultiues getting onto this forum for some reason and so have 're-elisted' under a new account and username lindsayhyde.

I apprecate your help and find this resource absolutely fantastic. I have been seraching the military records for George's papers via An****try com and have had no luck..but will keep searching the other various resources.

Regards.

lindsayhyde